considering switching to Cingular... some merger/coverage ..

Last response: in Network Providers
June 4, 2005 3:59:31 PM

I am considering switching to Cingular GSM (was an ATTWS TDMA customer
a few years back), and am currently with Verizon. I had a couple of
questions:

1) AT&T TDMA 1900 used to have good coverage in my house (suburban
Boston). Has AT&T finished converting all their metropolitan TDMA
towers to support GSM, and therefore, should the GSM signal be just as
good?

2) Cingular had a very weak GSM 850 signal in my house. How merged are
their networks now? If I sign up with Cingular on a 850/1900 phone,
will it prioritize a weak 850 GSM signal, or the stronger ATTWS 1900
GSM signal? If not, can I do any programming changes on a RAZR
phone/SIM to make it prioritize ex-ATTWS?

3) How does a RAZR compare to other phones in picking up a weak signal?
What flip-phone has the best ability to handle weak signals?

-MVL
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 7:21:41 PM

I dont know How many times I have to say this, cell telephones are
really radios. Signal strengh will vary with the placement of the cell
tower, the atmosphic conditions, the type of house your are in, and
probably a half dozen things I have not thought of.

If you want good coverage in your house, use your wired phone.

It will be perfect.

Chip

mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:
> I am considering switching to Cingular GSM (was an ATTWS TDMA customer
> a few years back), and am currently with Verizon. I had a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1) AT&T TDMA 1900 used to have good coverage in my house (suburban
> Boston). Has AT&T finished converting all their metropolitan TDMA
> towers to support GSM, and therefore, should the GSM signal be just as
> good?
>
> 2) Cingular had a very weak GSM 850 signal in my house. How merged are
> their networks now? If I sign up with Cingular on a 850/1900 phone,
> will it prioritize a weak 850 GSM signal, or the stronger ATTWS 1900
> GSM signal? If not, can I do any programming changes on a RAZR
> phone/SIM to make it prioritize ex-ATTWS?
>
> 3) How does a RAZR compare to other phones in picking up a weak signal?
> What flip-phone has the best ability to handle weak signals?
>
> -MVL

June 5, 2005 12:57:37 PM

I've think I've read that Cingular can set your phone to prefer either ATTWS
or Cingular towers so I don't think you'll have a problem.

<mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am considering switching to Cingular GSM (was an ATTWS TDMA customer
> a few years back), and am currently with Verizon. I had a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1) AT&T TDMA 1900 used to have good coverage in my house (suburban
> Boston). Has AT&T finished converting all their metropolitan TDMA
> towers to support GSM, and therefore, should the GSM signal be just as
> good?
>
> 2) Cingular had a very weak GSM 850 signal in my house. How merged are
> their networks now? If I sign up with Cingular on a 850/1900 phone,
> will it prioritize a weak 850 GSM signal, or the stronger ATTWS 1900
> GSM signal? If not, can I do any programming changes on a RAZR
> phone/SIM to make it prioritize ex-ATTWS?
>
> 3) How does a RAZR compare to other phones in picking up a weak signal?
> What flip-phone has the best ability to handle weak signals?
>
> -MVL

Related resources
June 5, 2005 6:01:01 PM

In some areas GSM coverage is not nearly as good as TDMA coverage. Be sure
to verify this in your area before you switch because you won't be allowed
to go back.

Some people on here will argue that the GSM buildout is complete and that
GSM will be as good or better than TDMA but this is not true. In my area GSM
is pretty consistantly two bars beloew TDMA. So areas where I get two bars
GSM users around me get "no signal". My area may be the only place like this
but I would verify before switching.

<mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I am considering switching to Cingular GSM (was an ATTWS TDMA customer
> a few years back), and am currently with Verizon. I had a couple of
> questions:
>
> 1) AT&T TDMA 1900 used to have good coverage in my house (suburban
> Boston). Has AT&T finished converting all their metropolitan TDMA
> towers to support GSM, and therefore, should the GSM signal be just as
> good?
>
> 2) Cingular had a very weak GSM 850 signal in my house. How merged are
> their networks now? If I sign up with Cingular on a 850/1900 phone,
> will it prioritize a weak 850 GSM signal, or the stronger ATTWS 1900
> GSM signal? If not, can I do any programming changes on a RAZR
> phone/SIM to make it prioritize ex-ATTWS?
>
> 3) How does a RAZR compare to other phones in picking up a weak signal?
> What flip-phone has the best ability to handle weak signals?
>
> -MVL

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 9:07:05 PM

Thanks to all. My friend will be over with a RAZR to test coverage in
my house. Is there a way to force it to ATTWS myself for the test (and
if so, what are the steps), or can it only be programed in a Cingular
store?

Also, anyone have comments on how a Razr compares to others in terms of
reception?

-MVL
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 1:39:13 PM

On 5 Jun 2005 17:07:05 -0700, mvl_groups_user@yahoo.com wrote:

>Thanks to all. My friend will be over with a RAZR to test coverage in
>my house. Is there a way to force it to ATTWS myself for the test (and
>if so, what are the steps), or can it only be programed in a Cingular
>store?
>
>Also, anyone have comments on how a Razr compares to others in terms of
>reception?
>
>-MVL

It's going to use Cingular/AT&T or T-Mobile depending on what works
best (and if it's in an area that still allows roaming on TM like
NYC).

Also, the RAZR has better RF performance in general so if you don't
get one, you may be disappointed.
Anonymous
June 6, 2005 2:15:18 PM

I'm just learning about ENS and the 64k sims. This apparently is
Cingular's attempt to seamlessly handle the two legacy networks until
they get the systems merged completely.

With ENS, does a phone:
1) Have the ability to continuously compare legacy Cingular (850) and
ATTWS (1900) networks, and lock onto the stronger one (as it would with
two competing towers)?
2) Start a call on one network, and handoff to another without dropping
the call?

My friend's account is relatively new. Is there a way to visually tell
whether the SIM is 64K/ENS or not?

-MVL
!