LAN ip address giving 169 instead of 77...

othe11o

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Hi Guys, I am trying to connect onto the Internet via laptop and through a cable modem. The laptop is a Toshiba L300. When I spoke to the Internet service provider, I said I should have a wired network adapter showing in the device manager. I could only find a family controller, and wireless 802.11b USB 2.0 adapter. The toshiba L300 is supposed to have an inbuilt wired adapter. Is this incorrect? If so, how do I get a wired network adapter, can I get an external device, or it had to be installed into the laptop? Many thanks. Othe11o

You can't use the wireless adapter unless you have a wireless router. But your laptop has a wired 10/100 ethernet port, and you should be connecting that ethernet port to the modem's ethernet port w/ an ethernet cable. In all likelihood, if you make that wired connection, it will just work. The laptop has the ethernet port on the left side, just to the left of the two USB ports.

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/picture.asp?f=4865

othe11o

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks eibgrad, this is the port I have always tried. I keep getting the same message "Internet explorer cannot display the website-diagnose connecting problem", the windows network diagnostics says "there might be a problem with one or more network adapters". Then it gives three options to resolve the problem.