5650 mobility (HP dv7)

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
i have a dv7 which is about half a year old and i often play games on it
the specs that matter are: i5 @ 2,4 Ghz, ati 5650, w7 64bit
for me it is enough to play games, even though it means i can't max out most new games

the problem here is that i want to update my graphics driver to 11.5 but no matter what i do i can't get it done
i do not know what the hell i am doing, my driver is on 8.7 and i want to have at least 11.3 so i can remove a graphics glitch from dirt 3

can someone help me with a step by step guide on how to update a MOBILITY ati 5650? i'm really frustrated here and i'm considering throwing my laptop out of the window

i tried downloading the drivers from ati.com, but it gives me an error that my version of the gpu isn't supported or something, i think it's because my laptop supports switchable graphics

i really want to play dirt 3 and would really appreciate the help

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
thanks for the info
i am 100% sure that i chose the right driver (mobility, radeon hd 5xxx, w7 64,
i'm trying it out right now, i'll write here if it worked or not

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
nah man it didn't work
it still says i have the 8.7 driver packaging version in CCC
although the CCC UI did change, i'm not sure if i understood the whole update thing correctly i guess? shouldn't it be driver packaging version 11.5?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Can you post adescription of the problem? "i do not know what the hell i am doing" is not enough for anyone to help you, like is there a error message and what does it say, does the screen go blank or the PC freeze or bluescreen?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished

The recent CCC ( since 11.3) has that little system info detection bug, mine says I'm using 11.1, when in fact I'm using 11.5, with the different UI and new features, what you need to do is check the driver packaging versions is as here:

cat11.5_whql_ccc_information.jpg

That's how it'd look on fresh windows install, just ignore the "Catalyst Version" part as long as the display driver itself is updated correctly.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110510/amd-catalyst-11-5-whql-and-hotfix-2-new-opengl-extensions/

GPU-Z also says 11.5 on mine, so it's just CCC that has that bug.

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
what i meant with " i don't know what i'm doing" is that i have a hp laptop with switchable graphics and i've read about having to get the drivers from hp
this is the picture i get in CCC after i update to 11.5
http://bit.ly/jqnAP6
i followed your steps, i downloaded the 11.5 file (not the online installer that one would give me errors) then i removed all catalyst programs from add/remove software and then rebooted, after that i installed the new package but its still the same
even in hardware manager in the system options the driver is 8.7
can you help me? do you need more information?

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Guess you didn't read my last post, you don't have todo anything else, the drivers and driver packaging versions are correct, just ignore the "Catalyst Version" part as long as the display driver itself is updated correctly.

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

sorry but i cant find display driver... even in gpu z the driver version is 8.7... and i still have the glitch in dirt 3

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Uninstall your current drivers, download and install driver sweeper and run it under safe mode to clean all Ati driver leftovers from your HDD, then download and install the latest drivers.

If that does't do it try downloading the display driver only without CCC or anything else, it's under optional downloads.

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

i'm not sure how u mean uninstall the drivers... do i have to remove all ati programs from the add/remove folder? or do i even have to uninstall the drivers in the hardware manager?
also: i installed drive sweeper and it says my 5650 is up to date, although it's on 8.7 o.0
this is strange...

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
uninstall them from add/remove programs and also from device manager just in case, reboot and start pressing F8 repeatedly until a selection screen appear, choose safe mode from there, and now use driver sweeper and let it scan for ati driver files and delete them, reboot again just normal and you should be able to install the driver without errors.

Also delete all the crapware that came with your HP if you haven't already, there are sometimes some crappy screen managers and sh!t that come with pre-built PC's that can cause driver conflicts, AND very important make sure you're logged in as administrator while doing all this.

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

thanks, will try and report back

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
ok i am getting really crazy now!!
i did all that u told me
i removed all ati software from the add/remove software, then i removed the driver itself so i was using the onboard graphics of the laptop's motherboard (aero disabled etc.)
then i restarted into safe mode and made driver sweeper remove all that which is AMD-Display (there was no ati one)
then it prompted me to restart so i did
i then downloaded the 11.5 specifically for 5650 mobility and i installed it, it installed ccc with it
then i restarted my computer again, it all looked normal (aero was back etc.)
BUT: gpu-z and ccc still say that i am on 8.7...
WTF??? what did i do wrong??

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
did you try using only the display driver?

Anyways your 2D and 3D driver versions are correct: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/systeminformation.jpg/ for what it should be in 11.5, it says 8.7 because it has a bug with system detection.

It's likely that your dirt 3 problem is game related then, can you give a description of the problem?

Also you could uninistall everything again and use driver sweeper, but this time before installing the new drivers open regedit.exe and delete ALL AMD and ATi registry entries, just search for entries that begin with either ati or amd.( driver sweeper doesn't remove anything from the registry).

nobodyshearing

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
ok i tried everything and its still the same
now in windows update it gives me a new optional update (5650 display) but its from september 2010! should i install it?
is it happening because it is a hp laptop or why cant i easily update my drivers??

pradeepa_kck

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
dude,

the driver you downloaded is not supported with the switchable graphics enabled notebooks... read the documentation of the ati driver...
i have the same thing... no updates.. :(
the only way you can update is via hp... but they don't update drivers frequently... should have considered this before buying... now there s nothing we can do... try contacting hp and requesting for an update... i did once... but so far ... nope...

Loucidity

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Running into the same sorts of problems. In particularly trying to run SimCity 5. Graphics look like they have the tops of the buildings correct, then lines that should be the vertical parts of the buildings appear to go every which way.

So, my question is, if you really don't care if you can "flip" from the integrated graphics chip to the Radeon and back again, is there anyway to install the vanilla 5650 driver ?