Yellow fog at side/bottom of screen

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2005 7:22:56 AM

Has anyone seen anything like this before?:

Yellow-orange fog at the sides or bottom of the laptop LCD screen,
with possible bluish discoloration toward the center. In this case,
the yellow-orange haze shifts position according to gravity: if the
laptop is stored on its side, the fog moves toward the bottom (the
side it's resting on).

Repair techs say they haven't seen it, but I've encountered it on
two different laptops. Have you seen anything similar? Any idea of
the cause?

(This particular laptop is a Toshiba M35-S456, with TruBrite LCD
screen.)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2005 9:58:21 AM

___X wrote:
> Has anyone seen anything like this before?:
>
> Yellow-orange fog at the sides or bottom of the laptop LCD screen,
> with possible bluish discoloration toward the center. In this case,
> the yellow-orange haze shifts position according to gravity: if the
> laptop is stored on its side, the fog moves toward the bottom (the
> side it's resting on).
>
> Repair techs say they haven't seen it, but I've encountered it on
> two different laptops. Have you seen anything similar? Any idea of
> the cause?
>
> (This particular laptop is a Toshiba M35-S456, with TruBrite LCD
> screen.)

Do others visually confirm what you see? The reason I ask is that the
optical properties of an LCD are different depending on the point of
view, and for a consistent apparition depending only on the rotation of
the screen indicates to me it is possibly an artifact of the viewer's
eyes. This could be due to a slight polarization of the viewer's
glasses - optical coating for glare reduction, etc., refractive effects
of the lenses/progressive "bifocal" lenses, material of contruction
(glass/polycarbonate).

a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 5:07:33 AM

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:58:21 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
wrote:

>___X wrote:
>> Has anyone seen anything like this before?:
>>
>> Yellow-orange fog at the sides or bottom of the laptop LCD screen,
>> with possible bluish discoloration toward the center. In this case,
>> the yellow-orange haze shifts position according to gravity: if the
>> laptop is stored on its side, the fog moves toward the bottom (the
>> side it's resting on).
>>
>> Repair techs say they haven't seen it, but I've encountered it on
>> two different laptops. Have you seen anything similar? Any idea of
>> the cause?
>>
>> (This particular laptop is a Toshiba M35-S456, with TruBrite LCD
>> screen.)
>
>Do others visually confirm what you see? The reason I ask is that the
>optical properties of an LCD are different depending on the point of
>view, and for a consistent apparition depending only on the rotation of
>the screen indicates to me it is possibly an artifact of the viewer's
>eyes. This could be due to a slight polarization of the viewer's
>glasses - optical coating for glare reduction, etc., refractive effects
>of the lenses/progressive "bifocal" lenses, material of contruction
>(glass/polycarbonate).

Hah! I take it you haven't seen this before. <g>

Yes, it's not a subtle effect. Visible straight on. The first screen
was no longer readable, even at a dead-on angle.

This one was confirmed defective within about 2 seconds by Toshiba
warrantee center. It's being replaced.

I'm wondering about the cause. I would like to prevent it from
happening again, especially out of warranty. I thought the first may
be due to overheating, but that would definitely not be the case with
the second. Possible bad batch of displays, as they were roughly the
same vintage.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 27, 2005 12:35:22 PM

___X wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:58:21 -0600, "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net>
> wrote:
>
>> ___X wrote:
>>> Has anyone seen anything like this before?:
>>>
>>> Yellow-orange fog at the sides or bottom of the laptop LCD screen,
>>> with possible bluish discoloration toward the center. In this case,
>>> the yellow-orange haze shifts position according to gravity: if the
>>> laptop is stored on its side, the fog moves toward the bottom (the
>>> side it's resting on).
>>>
>>> Repair techs say they haven't seen it, but I've encountered it on
>>> two different laptops. Have you seen anything similar? Any idea of
>>> the cause?
>>>
>>> (This particular laptop is a Toshiba M35-S456, with TruBrite LCD
>>> screen.)
>>
>> Do others visually confirm what you see? The reason I ask is that
>> the optical properties of an LCD are different depending on the
>> point of view, and for a consistent apparition depending only on the
>> rotation of the screen indicates to me it is possibly an artifact of
>> the viewer's eyes. This could be due to a slight polarization of
>> the viewer's glasses - optical coating for glare reduction, etc.,
>> refractive effects of the lenses/progressive "bifocal" lenses,
>> material of contruction (glass/polycarbonate).

> Hah! I take it you haven't seen this before. <g>
>
> Yes, it's not a subtle effect. Visible straight on. The first screen
> was no longer readable, even at a dead-on angle.
>
> This one was confirmed defective within about 2 seconds by Toshiba
> warrantee center. It's being replaced.
>
> I'm wondering about the cause. I would like to prevent it from
> happening again, especially out of warranty. I thought the first may
> be due to overheating, but that would definitely not be the case with
> the second. Possible bad batch of displays, as they were roughly the
> same vintage.

I wonder, since this is a real effect, if it is oxidation of plasticizer
in the plastic layer, maybe due to heat?