Sign in with
Your question

Unsupported cpu installed

Last response: in CPUs
October 29, 2011 5:44:14 AM

Hello, I bought a HP Pavilion a4316f Desktop PC, and upgraded the CPU to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
worked fine after a while, but after an auto update I tried to turn on my computer and it gives me "unsupported CPU installed" every time I boot up, and it turns off automatically. Any suggestions?
My Mobo: M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2011 6:02:48 AM

Vic8765 said:
Hello, I bought a HP Pavilion a4316f Desktop PC, and upgraded the CPU to this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
worked fine after a while, but after an auto update I tried to turn on my computer and it gives me "unsupported CPU installed" every time I boot up, and it turns off automatically. Any suggestions?
My Mobo: M2N78-LA (Violet6) motherboard

My guess is the board requires a bios update to support C3 chips.
m
l
October 29, 2011 6:07:39 AM

I am not very computer savvy compared to most of the people on this forum, would you direct me on how to do this? I just don't understand why it would work fine one day, and the next day it says my CPU is unsupported :heink: 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 29, 2011 6:14:38 AM

Vic8765 said:
I am not very computer savvy compared to most of the people on this forum, would you direct me on how to do this? I just don't understand why it would work fine one day, and the next day it says my CPU is unsupported :heink: 

You swapped out a cpu but you don't know how to do a bios update?

Well, go to the system manufacturers web site and under downloads for that system should be a bios update.

How long was it running after the upgrade before it started giving you trouble? It was originally a x4 620 correct?
m
l
October 29, 2011 6:23:06 AM

It started giving me trouble about a month, maybe more, after the upgrade of the CPU.
And that's correct, it was originally x4 620.

I am unsure of how to update the BIOS, via my laptop. Considering my tower wont boot to the desktop.
m
l
October 29, 2011 2:36:52 PM

If you still have your old CPU, you should put it in and then update your BIOS through Windows. When I googled your PC's model. I was able to locate the software through HP's website and here's the link for it:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=...

If you don't have your old CPU, the only thing I can advise you to do is to take the matter to HP and see what they can do
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 30, 2011 2:58:12 AM

Vic8765 said:
It started giving me trouble about a month, maybe more, after the upgrade of the CPU.
And that's correct, it was originally x4 620.

I am unsure of how to update the BIOS, via my laptop. Considering my tower wont boot to the desktop.

Ahh....that makes sense.

Try putting the only processor back in. Lets see what happens.

So it was working with the new CPU for a while?
m
l
!