Sign in with
Your question

The Bottleneck Search...

Last response: in Components
October 29, 2011 6:40:14 AM

I posted a similar topic at a earlier date. I thought my cpu temp's could of caused this, but that turned out to be wrong. I need to fix a bottleneck somewhere in my rig. I lag very bad (A long, single lag during games. Never twice immediately in a row. But does happen alot.) and want to fix it ASAP for cheap preferably.

My rig as she sits:

http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2069980

To specify on the video card since CPU-Z did not....
HIS Radeon 6950
Core Clock: 880
Mem Clock: 1300
GPU Volt. 1149

Specs on HD:
Barracuda 7200.7
Capacity: 80.0 GB
Speed: 7200 rpm
Average Read Time: 8.5 ms
Cylinders: 1023
Heads: 256
Sectors: 63
Connection: IDE

Like I said looking for a cheap fix to the lag, everything runs under 50 Degrees Celsius ( If that info is even pertinent), any questions please ask. It happens in all resolutions, all graphics settings from ultra to low on every game :/ . Thanks ahead of time.

More about : bottleneck search

October 29, 2011 6:55:55 AM

Overclock your current cpu and see what happens.You might consider changing your cpu to phenom II x4 955.But I think overclocking will mostly eliminate those issues.
m
l
October 29, 2011 8:27:23 AM

Can you clarify more ? Do you get FPS drops when it lags or not ? If possible,post a video of this issue
m
l
Related resources
October 29, 2011 2:13:40 PM

I don't think a new CPU would fix that as there's only one card in your system and the CPU isn't that bad. There are two possible reasons that come to my mind:

1) There's a slim chance that your ram might be causing this. To test that possibility, please download Memtest 86+, burn the image to a CD and boot the computer from the CD to start testing the system (the testing should take about 30 minutes to finish one loop).

2)If Memtest returned no errors. Please check the HDD activity LED when the lag happens. If the LED is on, there might be a problem with your HDD. To verify this, I recommend that you unplug your HDD and install windows from any other HDD. If you run into no lags, then your older HDD has some issues. You may try to fix them by running a program like Spinrite to repair your HDD.
m
l
October 30, 2011 3:36:29 AM

sayantan said:
Overclock your current cpu and see what happens.You might consider changing your cpu to phenom II x4 955.But I think overclocking will mostly eliminate those issues.

CPU is already overclocked, still same issue, same severity. No changes.
m
l
October 30, 2011 3:41:32 AM

Check for virus.Turn off the anti-virus while gaming.I think its some program which is eating your CPU cycles.What is the cpu usage when system is idle??
m
l
October 31, 2011 10:52:04 AM

sayantan said:
Check for virus.Turn off the anti-virus while gaming.I think its some program which is eating your CPU cycles.What is the cpu usage when system is idle??

No virus, checked with a few programs. CPU usage at idle is 0-10% on all cores.
m
l
October 31, 2011 10:53:24 AM

youssef 2010 said:
I don't think a new CPU would fix that as there's only one card in your system and the CPU isn't that bad. There are two possible reasons that come to my mind:

1) There's a slim chance that your ram might be causing this. To test that possibility, please download Memtest 86+, burn the image to a CD and boot the computer from the CD to start testing the system (the testing should take about 30 minutes to finish one loop).

2)If Memtest returned no errors. Please check the HDD activity LED when the lag happens. If the LED is on, there might be a problem with your HDD. To verify this, I recommend that you unplug your HDD and install windows from any other HDD. If you run into no lags, then your older HDD has some issues. You may try to fix them by running a program like Spinrite to repair your HDD.

Gotta go get some blank CD's, then will gladly try. Thanks for the response :D 
m
l
October 31, 2011 10:55:04 AM

Maziar said:
Can you clarify more ? Do you get FPS drops when it lags or not ? If possible,post a video of this issue

Downloaded a program to tell me if the fps drops or not, will try that today. Then will post results tonight.

EDIT: After using a program called FRAPS, I dicovered that my frame rate will not drop. For example I was playing MW2, at a consistent 60 fps. Then it would lag. When it lags it acted like my computer froze for a second or two, frame rate did not drop till AFTER the lag. In which it started from 0 and got back up to 60 within a second. Thanks guys :D 
m
l
November 1, 2011 12:49:59 AM

youssef 2010 said:

Well Memtest came back clean, no errors. no hdd activity LED hooked up :/ . Any other ideas to test to see if its the HD? I dont have a extra one either.
m
l
!