Sign in with
Your question

New GTX 570 not performing as well as it should

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 25, 2011 9:48:34 PM

After finding Witcher 2 chugging a bit with my GTX 460, I upgraded to the GTX 570 yesterday, and while I have seen some improvement things don't seem to be running as well as others with similar (or, very often, worse) overall systems than I'm running right now, and I'm not sure why. Specifically, Witcher 2 runs on high with 30 FPS lower than a friend of mine runs on Ultra, and my WEI score is only a 6.8 when I haven't seen anyone report scores of less than 7.8 when using this particular card. My GTX 460 was scoring a 6.0.

I've got a SSD as my primary hard drive, with a black HDD as my secondary storage drive. I've also 8 gigs of RAM and am running an Intel i2500k 3.3GHz overclocked to 3.7GHz.

As a problem that I'd imagine is related, when games are very graphic intensive -- The Witcher 2 and WoW on full ultra in a crowded city are the only games I have that can reach this level -- I get significant input lag with my mouse, as in I'll move my mouse and the cursor on screen moves between half a second and a tenth of a second later depending on how intensive the graphics are at that time. Vsync has no effect on the input lag in either game.

My GPU usage is 100% at all times. My CPU's four cores run at no more than 40% load each (evenly distributed). Temperatures are fine throughout, about 50 on the card and 40 on the CPU, which is what I've seen since I built the system.

I've asked tons of people about why my 460 and now my 570 don't seem to perform at the same levels as others, and why I might get input lag exclusively when graphics are intense, and no one has been able to propose anything helpful. Anyone have any insight? Thanks a ton.

More about : gtx 570 performing

a b U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 10:06:05 PM

Driver optimization?

This is going to be kind of stupid question, but you DO have the latest drivers for your card right? Often, games running on new cards might have drivers that don't necessarily give the greatest performance until a month or two later, where AMD/Nvidia can release better optimized drivers for said game.
m
l
May 25, 2011 10:12:26 PM

borisof007 said:
Driver optimization?

This is going to be kind of stupid question, but you DO have the latest drivers for your card right? Often, games running on new cards might have drivers that don't necessarily give the greatest performance until a month or two later, where AMD/Nvidia can release better optimized drivers for said game.

Yes, all drivers are updated. I'm actually running the beta drivers at the moment, since all of the optimizations for The Witcher 2 are only in those at present. The same problems were persistent for several past versions, though.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
May 25, 2011 11:17:00 PM

Since you have had the problem with 2 vid cards i suggest checking everything you can. have you used Driversweeper to remove all traces of old drivers? do that then install latest drivers. Do all the basic things, update BIOS, check/tinker with BIOS settings, update motherboard drivers, update windows (worst case, completely reinstall windows), run HDD diagnostics, Run MEMTES86+. I would also be checking the PSU, trying another one in case its not producing enough/clean power.
m
l
!