workamper

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Does somebody make an external WI-FI antenna that will mount on a Travel Trailer? With both my Desktop & laptop computer, I get a tremendous drop in signal strength when inside. My little 4" rubber antenna on the wireless adapter in my desktop one is mounted on the lowest PCI slot, so just can't get through the thick walls well enough. Can't I install some kind of an external antenna, and then, either go to a booster inside, or screw the antenna cable directly on to my WI-FI card, in place of that little antenna, or get maybe get a BETTER (longer) antenna instead?

workamper

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

That's not what I need........ That antenna attaches to the router

The Wi-Fi here belongs to the U.S. Government, and works just fine (85% signal strength) from my laptop on the picnic table, so clearly, the antenna on the router is working fine. When I'm in my RV though, the signal won't penetrate the walls well enough , and neither my Laptop nor my Desktop computer gets a good WI-FI signal indoors.....

Where can I get either a wireless repeater for inside, with an external antenna

or

an external antenna for my RV, which plugs directly into the Wi-Fi card on my computer (in place of the little 4" antenna that's on it right now)

Laptop: Dell D-600, Windows XP-Pro, Wireless capability built in

Desktop: eMachines T2958, Windows XP-Home, Netgear WG311v3 (PCI card) Wireless Adapter

workamper

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

You do not seem to be listening to me.............. This is not a problem of the router antennas, as if I'm outside my RV, I can pick up the WI-FI signal from the laundry building just fine, but when I step indoors, that same signal can't penetrate my walls very well. I need an antenna to connect to my computer's wireless adapter, not an antenna to attach to my employer's wireless gateway (router)....

workamper

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

************************************************************************************************

NO, both of your posts were for antennas to attach to the wireless gateway/router..... The router belongs to a Government agency, so I can't put anything different on it...

I actually need an antenna to attach to the network card on my computer. Both my Desktop & Laptop work fine outside, but can't get a good WI-FI signal indoors, so I'm trying to find an external antenna to mount on the outside of my RV