Rampage IV Extreme chipset squealing

Wadeb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Hi guys. So I got my RIVE 7 days ago and today while just Playing max Payne 3 it started to make a squealing noise. So I got out of the game to the desktop and it stopped.. Thinking it was my gpus I pulled one out tested tested and still there did the same with other and it still was there. Taking the gpus out of the equation I decided to see if it was the chipset fan so turned it off and it still decided to squeal whenever under graphical load like a game or evga of scanner. So I turned back on the chipset fan and it's still doing it and I'm not sure why its doing it..? Anyone got any ideas of what to do?? I'm still within the 7days return to the place I brought it so not sure if I should take it back or not...

Wadeb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
UPDATE: It seems to be the GPUs.. i have changed both in and around.. and they both seem to be doing it while in EVGA OC scanner... they are both around 18 months old (EVGA GTX 570 HD SCs) so scrap that it is the chipset.. i put my ear pretty much on the chipset and it doesnt seem to be that now.. thanks goodness as i love this board and dont want to have to rma it :(

I know now it is the wrong thread as it is the gpus.. well seems to be.. dones anyone know what it may be?

Wadeb

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply. Oh and nice name :D can it be damaging to the gpus or is it just sign of there old age coming along? If its not damaging or may damage another computer components then Im not too worried was playing going sli 670s soon anyways and with my headphones on I can't hear anything too.. It started to happen after I selected to reevaluate my WIndows index and that what made it start..

If you could figure out exactly which component it is that's making the noise, you could use some hot glue (or something similar) to quieten it down, but since it's not harmful, and you're getting new cards at some point relatively soon anyway, I just wouldn't worry about it.