Sign in with
Your question

New build system will not boot correctly

Last response: in Systems
July 31, 2011 10:47:46 AM

Hello,
Can someone help me please. I am attempting to build a system from for the 1st time. When all the components are installed the system will start to boot for about 1/2 a second and then switch off. It will then attempt to start again after 2-3 seconds and repeat the cycle until I turn the mains power off.

I have removed the memory and attempted to power on the system and it will run but you will hear an alarm (approx 15 -20 beebs) then it will switch off.
I have checked the motherboard is not in contact with the case and i have also checked the CPU is seated correctly.

I have managed to succefully boot to the bios screen once by replacing the heatsink with the standard and reducing the RAM to 2 Gb, however this only happens in 1 in 10 boots.
I have the following components.
-Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3 Motherboard
-Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz CPU
-Cooler master Hyper TX3
-2 x OCZ Platinum series 1.65v Memory.
-Winpower 450v ATX power supply

Can someone please help me.

Many thanks
July 31, 2011 3:33:38 PM

Thanks for the reply & guide i will read through and give it a go. I have progressed further since the initial post and my system will now boot with 1 x 2gb
DDR3 memory module but not 2.
August 1, 2011 8:16:58 AM

Ok Many thanks to "Why_Me" for the guide it was a big help. I have now gone though all steps and I believe I have narrowed it down to the following steps; 6, 7 & 8 which is to do with the memory.

I have OCZ Platinum 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit . For explanation purposes I am going to refer to each RAM Module as Card A and Card B.

If I Insert both cards I get no post/boot/beeps, Nothing, the system immediatly shuts down.

If I insert Card A into slot 1 on its own the system WILL boot and I can get access to the BIOS

If I insert Card A into Slot 2 on its own the system will NOT Post/Boot/Beep and will shut down immediately

If I insert Card B into Slot 1 on its own the System will NOT Post/Boot/Beep and will shut down immediately

If I insert Card B into Slot 2 on its own the System will NOT Post/Boot/Beep and will shut down immediately

So what is wrong with my system. I have checked that each component is compatible by visiting each manufacturers websites, I have googled and I have gone on various forums but cant seem to get a straight answer.

Can someone tell me what is wrong. Do I have a faulty motherboard, faulty RAM or something else?
!