Awful PSU battlefield 3

Fairos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Hey,

I have had a really awful PSU for a while now from when i first built my PC about 5 months ago. I think it causes a few BSOD's sometimes. But the question i've got is.

I started playing battlefield 3 on all high settings with a HD5850 which my PSU can't really run. After a while of playing the game i can hear a fan really loud and can smell like burning of something. What could this be? and would a new PSU sort this problem? I can't think what else it could be.

Thanks for any help i will really appreciate it.

Regards

Fairos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
This may help.. my spec :

ATI HD 5850 Extreme 1024mb GDDR5
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 3.20 ghz
Samsung Spinpoint 1TB Sata-II
Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR2 1600mhz DUal Channel
24x DVD RW SATA

All put into this..
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/show [...] =FS-268-OK

It is actually the fan on my processor that is going mega fast.. opened it up after playing bf3 and it was hot and making a right noise !!!

Surelly it must be my power supply i cant think of anything else it could be.

The CPU fan spins at maximum speed because your CPU is getting very hot; the PSU has nothing to do with that. Install a better HSF on your CPU and it won't be as loud and it will run much cooler.

Your link is incomplete.

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
You may want to google "BF3 BSOD" I was having the same issues, there are forums suggesting to disable any Realtek Devices and try alternative NIC cards or sound cards. Also if your graphics driver is not the most current then try that as well.

What is your PSU and motherboard model? Some suggestions are to disable any overclock utility even if its not used, especially for Gigabyte boards.

Good Luck.

Fairos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
So is bf3 straining my processor? A computer shop told me today that my psu is too low powered for my gfx card.. I just cant see why my cpu and gfx card would be getting so hot!! I get a new psu monday so ill let you all know if it helps.. If not ill have to try more fans!!

Replacing the weak PSU is great, but your CPU fan will still be loud when the processor is very busy. Run Prime95 torture test and check your CPU temperatures. While running it for several minutes (several hours is best to test a CPU), the fan will spin at maximum speed. If it's too loud and/or the CPU gets too hot, then replace it. Since the GPU isn't busy while running Prime95, the PSU isn't a factor.

Fairos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
So just running bf3 could be making my cpu busy? Would you say i need a new cpu or fan? Bare in mind its only about 5 months old.. The hot cpu and gpu hasnt caused a crash yet but i can just smell components burning so i stop!! Pissin me off boys!!

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
BF3 is not CPU intensive like other games, most likely your power supply is running hot due to your GPU usage being high. You may want to check the 12v amperage requirements for the graphics card you are using and compare it to your PSU which is written on the label of the power supply.

Fairos

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2011
Thanks alot guys!!! I think the new psu will work.. Ill also try the program mentioned to check the temperature on my cpu!! I havent had a bsod since i reformatted on friday!!

Yes, but that isn't an issue. The issue is that the fan has to spin faster to keep the CPU cool enough and that seems to bother you. Fortunately the solution is very simple.