Motherboard Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello :)

I am installing my new Gigabyte motherboard onto an old Frontech Appy cabinet. An intel DG41RQ was installed previously on this cabinet.
My problem is that, i do not have any standoffs to set between the motherboard and the cabby plate. All i have are two plastic standoffs
standoff.jpg

both are of a little bit different heights. These were placed between the Intel board and the cabby plate previously.

photo0017q.jpg

this is the image of the cabinet plate. It is not removable.
some screw holes in the cabinet are at a higher level than other holes.

So, my question is, do I need motherboard standoffs?

Motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-G41MT S2

Solution
Best of luck... When you replace check your heat sink install (correct thermal compound application & full seated). All your numbers seem to point back to CPU temps / heat sink application.

obsolete99

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Looking at that case, putting standoffs won't work where it's raised. That might offset the rear panel and expansion slots.

Maybe put electrical tape on the raised points (make a hole for mobo screw) and put standoffs between the raised points where needed.

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
thanks for the replies :)

installind, from what i observed while installing the motherboard, none of the screw points are non-metalized. and i got only 4 mounting points(elevated) that matched with the board. If i set some standoffs there will be a problem with tho I/O panel when installing.

taking obsolete99's idea, if i put electrical tape, even then it is not rendered safe. as after making holes in the electrical tape i have to insert a screw that screws in with the metalized cabinet plate, thus grounding it.

There is no place to insert a standoff as far as i could see.

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
they are lining up. no problems. but previous board also lined up with 4 mounts.
lining up is no problem. the only problem is placing the standoffs.. if i place stand off i cannot line up the IO panel. if i don't, well till now less peace of mind :p

busymaverick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
23331516.jpg

started copying files.. to a USB thumb drive.

check the temperatures.

I can rule out the ventilation as a problem.

ran the computer with case open and 2 fans blowing air. 1 fan blowing in other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.