Rycon70

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hello Everyone:

I could really use some help here. I have tried many different things and am at a loss.

Issue - after some time (anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours) my monitor goes black and a window pops up stating "Lost Signal". The computer continues to run however I am noticing that the light on my Sapphire GPU blinks intermittently. Nothing will get it back on except a full system restart.

*Note* This is brand new hardware (listed below) with a complete new install of Windows XP-32bit SP3

Solutions - I have tried these...

1. Updating GPU drivers
2. Updating MOBO drivers
3. Windows Updated fully
4. Re-installing Windows
5. Run through the thread "system wont boot, no video output" checklist

System
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core 8.0mb Cache w/Heatsink Fan (brand new)
MOBO: Asus M4a89GTD Pro USB3 (brand new)
RAM: G.Skill F3-10666 DDR3-1333 CL7D-4gb (2 sticks) (brand new)
HSF: came with CPU (brand new)
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1 TB, SATA 32mb Cache (brand new)
PSU: OCZ 420w (about 8 years old) I am wondering if this is the cause of my issue?
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 (brand new)
DVD: Samsung 16x (about 8 years old)
CASE: Antec Plusview II (about 8 years old in excellent condition)
Thermal Compound: Came with heatsink
MONITOR: Acer H233H LCD (about 6 months old)

Not sure if this is part of the issue or separate, but I also cannot hook up a 4' HDMI cable between GPU port and LCD. Get same message..."Lost Signal". Currently running monitor off of the VGA port.

Thanks for any and all assistance. You guys/gals are the best around and if anyone can figure this out it is you folks!!!
Rycon70

Not sure if

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Whoa yeah that PSU is pretty old. That stood out immediately.

Try putting your video card into another PC and see if it does the same thing. That'll almost eliminate it to either your monitor, GPU, or PSU.

I doubt anything else is the issue.