Need help with Fios MI424WR routers TCP/IP connection settings

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I need to setup ip address ranges for incoming and outgoing connections in the router for my trading application. Under 'Advanced Filtering' there are two sets of rules that can be configured: input rules and output rules and each set of rules has three subsets: initial rules, network devices rules, and final rules. Do the IP ranges belong in initial , network or final rules?

I also have 3 ports that need to be opened in the router and when i add them to port forwarding for my computer everything is fine, but there is someone else in the office that uses the same application and the router doesnt like to have the same port opened twice. Can this not be done or can individual ports also be setup in 'Advanced Filtering' so both Pc's can utilize them?

http://onlinehelp.verizon.net/consumer/bin/pdf/ActiontecMI1424WRUserManual.pdf

As far setting up port forwarding, in most cases you only need to use the basic Port Forwarding feature (pg. 78). The section on Advanced Filtering (pg. 87) is not likely something you need to touch at all.

As far as port forwarding and conflicts w/ other users, one of the limitations of a NAT router is that port forwarding is only possible to a single local IP address. So if you and someone else need the same ports at the same time, one of you is out of luck. The only way around it is if at least one of you has their PC in the public IP space (i.e., not behind a NAT router), making that PC directly addressable from the Internet.

It appears after skimming the MI424WR manual that you could use the Static NAT option for this purpose, assuming you have at least one additional public IP from your ISP.

Also, some applications will allow you to change the ports required, giving you some flexibility. So each of you could use different ports. But that’s definitely the exception, not the rule. Most of the time the required ports are fixed.

schm1tty

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
You can create a dmz, put the ip addresses of the computers that need the same ports in the dmz, and then forward the ports to the dmz. not sure if that box will let you do it though....
also, see if you can change the subnet mask in the port forward page so you can just summarize the ip addresses and forward the port to all machines on that subnet.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

Im not really sure what u mean, but ill try and figure it out. Thank You