Card reader worked once, then never again

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
March 20, 2005 12:29:07 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

I just bought a Zio Dazzle 10-in-one card reader (I have cameras that
use Smart Media cards, and others that use the SD cards).

See http://ziocorp.com/products/10in1.html

It couldn't have been simpler to install:

1. Plug into usb port (I have Win 2k)
2. Win2k recognzied it
3. Installed drivers off the disk that came with it
4. Restarted

At that point, I put a Smart Media card into the reader and
transferred 12 picture files from the card onto my HD, and then
deleted them from the card. No problem.

Shortly thereafter - like maybe 30 seconds later, when I was doing
something else - I got a flood of VERY ominous looking error messages,
something about me removing the media or the device when it wasn't
okay to do so.

At that point, the reader stopped working. The drivers recognize the
two "drive letters" for the reader (g: and h: with h: being the Smart
Media slot), but when I put a card into the reader, containing photos
that my camera can read off of it, they don't show up in Windows when
I click on the H: icon in "My Computer."

Also, I can't copy files from Windows to the card in the reader.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers three times now. The
Windows Device Manager claims they're okay. What should I try next?

More about : card reader worked

Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:29:08 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

You would be best off getting in touch with the manufacture's support.
There may be a defective reader, or a bad software combination
somewhere, or a corrupt file with the system.

Also, look to see what else has been installed in to the system, since
it stopped working.

Jerry G.
======
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 12:29:08 AM

afloat@sea.comornetorsomedomain wrote:

> 1) A gray Windows error, in the title bar it says "Windows- Delayed
> Write Failed" and then next to a big white X in a red circle, it says
> "Windows was unable to saveall the data for the file
> \Device\Harddisk3\DP(1)O-0+9\DCIM\100Olymp\P2060001.JPG. The data has
> been lost.The error may be caused by a failure of your computer
> hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file
> elsewhere.
>
> 2) A larger popup, looking like an information screen from Device
> Manager, telling me (in the title bar)

=== Unsafe Removal of Device, and then something saying
=== "You have unplugged or ejected a device without stopping it.
=== Unplugging or ejecting devices without first stopping them
=== can often cause your computer to crash and lose valuable data."

> I'm then presented with the option of showing an unplug device icon on
> the taskbar.
>
> So, I guess, it looks like the card reader is getting confused or
> worse because first I transfer data one way (card >>> PC), then try
> transferring in the other direction (PC >>> card). Of course, I am
> doing these in steps, and the reader is done doing its work when I try
> to transfer.

reread your error messages:

"unsafe removal"
"You have unplugged or ejected a device without stopping it"
Unplugging or ejecting devices without first stopping them
can often cause your computer to crash and lose valuable data."

you took the card out and interrupted its delayed write.

> And how can I make the reader WRITE to the card
> (or heck, maybe I just answered my question... maybe I can't, because it's a READER, not a
> WRITER?) (although why then can I delete files from the card using the
> reader?).

readers usually can also write back to the card.

probably not a good idea.
do you KNOW that your camera can deal with the changes?
March 20, 2005 4:46:55 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

Card readers, particularly the less expensive all in one gizmos, are just
not very well made.
I went through a few of them, Sandisk being the least reliable.
I finally sprung for a brand name unit that reads floppies as well as all
manner of memory cards and replaces the A drive. You need to understand how
to connect these devices to a USB header on the motherboard itself.
For a year I have finally had no trouble reading, writing or formatting all
manner of memory cards.
You can try contacting the manufacturer but they are not very supportive of
low profit hi volume items.
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:32:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:15:55 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
wrote:

>reread your error messages:
>
>"unsafe removal"
>"You have unplugged or ejected a device without stopping it"
> Unplugging or ejecting devices without first stopping them
> can often cause your computer to crash and lose valuable data."
>
>you took the card out and interrupted its delayed write.

I never touched the card, and I never touched the USB connection. I
lassoed some files (jpgs) from my hard drive and dragged them to the
virtual drive that was the card in the reader. Released my finger
from the mouse key and havoc ensued.

>readers usually can also write back to the card.
>
>probably not a good idea.
>do you KNOW that your camera can deal with the changes?

I read the reader manual after posting, and yes, it can write to the
card. But I have also read in several places that it's not a good
idea to use a card reader to write to a memory card. On the one hand
I understand this; on the other, I can't imagine why they'd make a
product that, used as intended, could do so much damage.

My research (should have done this first; I really thought card
readers were a defacto commodity) brought up a bunch of issues
relating to:

- USB readers and Win2k
- Zio Dazzle and SmartMedia (supposedly need a firmware patch from
Zio)
- Zio Dazzle and SD cards - very, very bad from what I read

Based on all that, and more importantly, my own experiences, I'm
thinking of returning the product.

Any suggestions for a decent reader/writer in the $15-30 range that
handles:

- USB 2.0
- SmartMedia
- SD cards
- nowhere near the hassle this POS has been
Anonymous
March 20, 2005 6:32:30 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital,24hoursupport.helpdesk (More info?)

afloat@sea.comornetorsomedomain wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 19:15:55 -0800, Crownfield <Crownfield@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >reread your error messages:
> >
> >"unsafe removal"
> >"You have unplugged or ejected a device without stopping it"
> > Unplugging or ejecting devices without first stopping them
> > can often cause your computer to crash and lose valuable data."
> >
> >you took the card out and interrupted its delayed write.
> >

> I never touched the card, and I never touched the USB connection. I
> lassoed some files (jpgs) from my hard drive and dragged them to the
> virtual drive that was the card in the reader. Released my finger
> from the mouse key and havoc ensued.
>

> >readers usually can also write back to the card.
> >
> >probably not a good idea.
> >do you KNOW that your camera can deal with the changes?
>
> I read the reader manual after posting, and yes, it can write to the
> card. But I have also read in several places that it's not a good
> idea to use a card reader to write to a memory card. On the one hand
> I understand this; on the other, I can't imagine why they'd make a
> product that, used as intended, could do so much damage.

not all cards go into camera?

!