Sign in with
Your question

Can any case fan be controlled by M/B header?

Last response: in Components
October 29, 2011 8:37:52 PM

Total newbie here. First build. My new case has three case fans, one inbound and two exhaust, and I will also have a CPU cooler. Can one of these Rosewill splitters be used to control two of the case fans and the CPU cooler? Connector-compatibility issues aside, is a specific kind of case fan required, or can any case fan have its speed be controlled?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

October 29, 2011 10:45:24 PM

The CPU cooler will plug into your mobo whereas your case fans will run of your psu. There is no control for the case fans as far as I know. I have one on mine and it just runs a constant 1200rpm and doesn't really do much. It is a blue LED fan and just makes my case look nice tbh :) 

In terms of cooling case fans help TO A POINT. It is very rare that your components will become too hot unless your overclocking your cpu and gpu extensivley :D  and I mean to seriously highspeeds.
m
l
October 30, 2011 11:38:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'm not overclocking. My office at home lacks A/C and reached 100F (38C) this summer for an entire week, so I decided to err on the side of too much cooling. The new PC should be a lot quiter than the one I have now, which is quite noisy when its 90mm pull-style fan revs up.

m
l
October 30, 2011 11:57:34 AM

AlistairH1993 said:

In terms of cooling case fans help TO A POINT.

Well, yes. Case fans should move air through a case. Without that, the CPU fan will just circulate the warm air inside the case.
m
l
!