Can any case fan be controlled by M/B header?

Total newbie here. First build. My new case has three case fans, one inbound and two exhaust, and I will also have a CPU cooler. Can one of these Rosewill splitters be used to control two of the case fans and the CPU cooler? Connector-compatibility issues aside, is a specific kind of case fan required, or can any case fan have its speed be controlled?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812119248&Tpk=rosewill%20pwm%20splitter
3 answers Last reply
More about case controlled header
  1. The CPU cooler will plug into your mobo whereas your case fans will run of your psu. There is no control for the case fans as far as I know. I have one on mine and it just runs a constant 1200rpm and doesn't really do much. It is a blue LED fan and just makes my case look nice tbh :)

In terms of cooling case fans help TO A POINT. It is very rare that your components will become too hot unless your overclocking your cpu and gpu extensivley :D and I mean to seriously highspeeds.
  2. Thanks for the reply. I'm not overclocking. My office at home lacks A/C and reached 100F (38C) this summer for an entire week, so I decided to err on the side of too much cooling. The new PC should be a lot quiter than the one I have now, which is quite noisy when its 90mm pull-style fan revs up.
  3. AlistairH1993 said:

In terms of cooling case fans help TO A POINT.

Well, yes. Case fans should move air through a case. Without that, the CPU fan will just circulate the warm air inside the case.
Ask a new question

Read More

Cases Fan Cooling Components