i1411(Pentium 300MMX) use more than 256 of RAM?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2005 8:09:41 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
otherwise.

The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
perhaps linux).

thanks in advance.

gychang
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2005 9:20:41 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

thanks, Andrew, I will try to find out chipset on the MB and try to
google search for the maxium memory supported.

gychang

Andrew wrote:
> In comp.sys.laptops gychang <gychang00@gmail.com> wrote:
> : I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
> : in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
> : otherwise.
>
> : The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
> : say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
> : perhaps linux).
>
> Do some research: figure out which chipset is used, if possible, and
> see what the maximum supported RAM is. Of course, the laptop may have
> fewer DIMM slots than the chipset could support.
>
> If there's a BIOS update for the laptop, that might allow it to
> support more RAM as well.
>
> My guess is that it will not support more than 256MB, however. If you
> can buy the RAM retail, you could just try it! But 256MB is enough to
> run XP fairly well if you don't open a lot of programs at one time.
> Linux should run just fine in 256MB.
>
> Andrew
> --
> ----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
> ----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
> ----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
a b D Laptop
July 26, 2005 10:55:44 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

uses Ali M1531 chipset, but I am unable to find out the maximum memory
it can use...

may just have to play safe...

gychang
Related resources
July 27, 2005 3:17:25 AM

[...]

July 28, 2005 12:33:27 PM

On 26 Jul 2005 16:09:41 -0700, "gychang" <gychang00@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
>in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
>otherwise.
>
>The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
>say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
>perhaps linux).

Windows XP should run with 64 MB of RAM though 128 would be better.

>thanks in advance.
>
>gychang

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
July 28, 2005 12:33:28 PM

In comp.sys.laptops Barry OGrady <atheist.xxx@gmail.com> wrote:
: On 26 Jul 2005 16:09:41 -0700, "gychang" <gychang00@gmail.com> wrote:

: >I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
: >in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
: >otherwise.
: >
: >The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
: >say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
: >perhaps linux).

: Windows XP should run with 64 MB of RAM though 128 would be better.

Yes, Windows XP will run on 64MB of RAM, but it will be slow as a dog
if you actually try to run any sort of software, too.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
a b D Laptop

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I am not familiar with your exact model, but I doubt that it can physically
address more than 256k.

Earle

"gychang" <gychang00@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
> in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
> otherwise.
>
> The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
> say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
> perhaps linux).
>
> thanks in advance.
>
> gychang

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 2:58:25 PM

On 27 Jul 2005 22:40:24 GMT, usenetMYSHOES@bizaveMYSHOES.com (Andrew) wrote:

>In comp.sys.laptops Barry OGrady <atheist.xxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>: On 26 Jul 2005 16:09:41 -0700, "gychang" <gychang00@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>: >I have i1411-2611 running windows 2000, now 5 yrs old. I am interested
>: >in prolonging the lifespan of the computer, the machine is like new
>: >otherwise.
>: >
>: >The manual states it can take up to 256 of total RAM, but if I install
>: >say 560 total, will it work? (interested in trying windows XP and
>: >perhaps linux).
>
>: Windows XP should run with 64 MB of RAM though 128 would be better.
>
>Yes, Windows XP will run on 64MB of RAM, but it will be slow as a dog
>if you actually try to run any sort of software, too.

True. I run Windows XP on a PII/300 notebook with 128 RAM and it is fine
for non critical programs.

!