Sign in with
Your question

Pc bios can not find or boot from usb portable dvd/cd drive

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2012 3:59:23 PM

PC Mother Board Name: Asus, Model: P4SGX-Mx, Socket478, PC Mother Board Serial Number: 3MMAG8518.
Bios Name: Phonix award 1.0, version: Asus P4SGX-Mx, ACPI Bios Revision: 1006 Beta 002, Bios Model: P4SGX-MX, Bios Built Date: 12/23/03.

windows mood it can easily detected 'portable USB DVD/CD Drive. My Bios Can Detect 'USB Floppy Drive' and 'USB Zip/Flash Drive'.
BIOS has no option to BOOT from 'USB BOOT device' or 'USB DVD or CD drive'. So, How can I install 'Microsoft Windows XP' with PORTABLE USB DVD/CD Drive?
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 4:11:06 PM

apurbo said:
My PC Mother Board Name: Asus, Model: P4SGX-Mx, Bios Name: Phonix award 1.0, Bios version: 1006gxmx.002. My bios can not detect usb DVD or CD drive.

if your trying to boot from them...have to make the usb port the first boot device. most of these usb drives need a boot disk with the driver on it for a dos boot. in windows windows would need to install a driver for them.
m
l
July 30, 2012 4:56:32 PM

dear smorizio, My PC Mother Board Bios(Name: Asus, Model: P4SGX-Mx) is an old type of bios. It can support only 'USB FLOPPY DRIVE and USB ZIP/Flash DRIVE'. In windows mood I can easily run usb dvd/cd drive. But, I have trying to boot my PC from 'Portable USB DVD/CD Drive' to install 'Microsoft windows XP operating system'.
m
l
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
a c 462 V Motherboard
August 1, 2012 6:46:08 AM

do this i a lot easy on you. take the windows xp cd to another pc. use the microsoft iso to use tool.
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage...
it take the windows xp iso image and make a bootable usb stick for you. you should then be able to boot from the usb stick with your old mb. if not you have to make a dos boot disk for a floppy deive if you have it and put on it cd-rom drivers that will work for your drive. sometime vendsors make those disks for you or other people have.
m
l
!