Sign in with
Your question

RAM Timaings and Command Rates

Last response: in Memory
July 27, 2012 4:43:49 PM

So i recently bought two sticks of DDR3 1600MHz 4GB RAM. the manufacturer is TwinMOS. However, i can't find the the manufacturer's recommended CAS Latency Time, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and Command Rate of any of the modules. they are not listed on the heat spreaders of my modules nor are they listed on the manufacturers website.

These are the Part Numbers of the modules i am using:
1. MDD34GB1600D
2. MDD34GB1600DTDCK

I plan on doing some overclocking and bringing the memory up to speed and so i really need to know the CAS Latency Time, tRCD, tRP, tRAS, and Command Rate of both the modules. Answers are very much appreciated. thanks.
a c 146 } Memory
July 27, 2012 4:48:15 PM

Check this, there is hardly any gain in performance.

RAM speed comparison - We're looking at a less than 2% difference from the fastest to the slowest.

m
l
July 27, 2012 4:59:21 PM

Thanks for replying Nikkor.
but even if the differences in performance are very small, do you happen to know anything about the Timings and command rates of the RAM modules in i bought.
m
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 5:20:40 PM

when you stick them into your machine.

Can you use cpuz or other program and it should be able to read the timings encoded onto the ram itself?
This is called (SPD) serial presence detect.
m
l
a c 146 } Memory
July 27, 2012 5:22:05 PM

Its also not good to mix them with different model of RAM.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 27, 2012 8:39:50 PM

TheJediKnight said:
Thanks for replying Nikkor.
but even if the differences in performance are very small, do you happen to know anything about the Timings and command rates of the RAM modules in i bought.

According to TwinMOS:

MDD34GB1600DTDCK
7-7-7-21
1.65V ~ 1.90V

I couldn't find any specs on TwinMOS' website, for the MDD34GB1600D, other than that it has CAS latency: 11.
m
l
July 28, 2012 8:22:18 AM

one more thing, i cant find the command rate of the modules anywhere so should i use 0T, 1T or 2T
thanks a lot guys,
your advice is very much appreciated .
m
l
July 28, 2012 9:20:39 AM

i have to disagree with timings not being important. its not all about how many fps you get and cinebench scores but how responsive the game is to your inputs. i have noticed a bigger change in game play when i tweaked my ram for the lowest possible latency than i did from overclocking my cpu.
m
l
a b } Memory
July 28, 2012 6:15:22 PM

TheJediKnight said:
one more thing, i cant find the command rate of the modules anywhere so should i use 0T, 1T or 2T
thanks a lot guys,
your advice is very much appreciated .

Download and run the freeware utility CPU-Z from here: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

On the webpage look for the Download latest release heading to the right of the example CPU-Z window and select the appropriate download for the Operating System you are using.

Install if necessary (i.e. if you chose the 1.61 setup, english download).

Run CPU-Z and click on the Memory tab to display information about what timings your memory is currently running with.

Click on the SPD tab to display the contents of the SPD EEPROM's Timings Table. Look at the Command Rate row corresponding to the memory frequency you will be operating at and use that value, if there is one. Even if the value specified is 2T you can manually try 1T. 1T is preferable if your system is able to run stable with that setting. If you use more than two memory modules then you will most likely not be able to use 1T at all and will have to use 2T.
m
l
!