amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Following the release of Intel's Sandy Bridge processor, AMD has responded with their new Bulldozer CPUs. Criticised for their low performance per watt ratio on single theaded applications, amdfangirl went out to find out why.

On contacting AMD, we found John Smith from the AMD 'truth division'. When asked about why Bulldozer was so horribly inept as a processor he replied saying that "Bulldozer is an extremely efficient CPU, if you compare it to a CAT Bulldozer, what we're doing is far more efficient. If you look at the power consumption, we're only using a fraction of a real Bulldozer. "

When asked about exactly how AMD's Bulldozer compares to a real CAT Bulldozer, AMD replied "When you overclock any of our processors, running them will melt all the ground into lava. You can easily dispose of lava into a city because... everyone loves lava. Particularly Pompeii, they used our B1 stepping of Bulldozer. See how happy they are? They've been hugging the lava for centuries."

When asked about Sandy Bridge, John replied "Well how does Sandy Bridge compare to a bridge made out of sand? it doesn't! Intel's Sandy Bridge consumes infinte times more power than a bridge made of sand. Plus, what use are bridges made of sand? What exactly is the use of sand in processors?"

When we asked Intel's 'explanation division they responded with "Well Sandy Bridge might not be as efficient as a bridge made of sand, but if AMD wants to play this card, we'll point out that our "Prescott" Intel Pentium 4 processor is far more power efficient that Bulldozer. Not only is it used to boil water to drive turbines, only 1 Prescott is required to drive the steam turbines that power the whole city of Prescott, AZ".

When asked why VIA inappriopritely compares its processors power consumption to the decesed prophets and apostles of the Christian religion VIA replied "You're crazy! Your whole article is crazy! What is this? Fox news?"

Update

fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer,N-D-310585-13.jpg

AMD has responded to the Windows 7 threading issue with Bulldozer stating that their Bulldozer based Interlagos server chip will solve threading issues. John claims that "the Interlagos processor will remediate the problems with Zambezi, the desktop implementation of Bulldozer. The Interlagos chip contains three vital parts, Inter, Lag and OS. The idea behind Interlagos is that inter-core cache thrashing will induce something called Lag, eventually, the responese will be so slow that the OS actually gives up, meaning that Interlagos can run much faster than Zambezi. A new B3 stepping of Bulldozer will implement this feature from Interlagos."

In the mean time, VIA has threatened to sue the author of this article for illogical defamitory remarks. Whether VIA can mortgage its headquarters to fund the court excursion remains to be seen.

Article by amdfangirl :D
Please note that I am not responsible for any spelling mistakes, anything historically or factually inaccurate or fire-breathing dragons under your bed. :hello:

The reason it performs poorly is because Windows 7 doesn't even recognize the architecture and places the threads out of order instead of placing them in the most efficient manner. FACT.

Windows 8 is supposed to fix this. Not saying it's going to burst out and blow away Intel, just saying it should be at least 20% faster with an OS that can recognize and place the threads correctly.

nice one. :)
anandtech's fx8150 review shows 10% max speed up in left4dead win 8.0 dp.
every time i read someone saying how bulldozer will be faster with win 8.0 the percentage goes up. 20% is the highest so far. iirc the first assumption(that i read) was 10% overall speed increase.
i assume no cpu/line of cpus have never been this os dependent. :p
prescott (p4) was quite handy in winter. in summer, i had to be away from my room.

but win7 is todays OS, and its not like win7 suddenly arrived on the scene now is it? i'm disappointed for them, I can't imagine how many people have had themselves torn a new one over this.

nice article by the way, very much much in the style of the onion.

Swing and a miss.......

Please stop it. Windows 7 fully recognizes SMT capable CPU's, and knows how to properly distribute threads. But according to AMD itself, BD is a 8-core CPU, not a 4-core with 2-way SMT support CPU. Nothing is stopping AMD from properly identifying the CPU via CPUID, except maybe their own marketing department.

g4114rd0

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2011

Concrete is a mixture of cement, sand, gravel and water. Concrete is usually pre-compressed or reinforced with steel bars, which make it more tensile.
What are you building bridges and why?
wait a moment I really don't care.