Stuck for choice between x2 555, x4 840 and x4 960t BE please help

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
The 960T can be unlocked to a 6 Core cpu cause its from the same piece of silicons as the Tubans

A single 6950 need a 500-550w psu. CFx 650w to 750w psu. So I don't know why you got with such a huge overkill of a psu where you could get a decent 850w that will be enough for any hardware upgrade.

Solution
the "phenom" II 840 is basically just a rebranded athlon II with a speedbump, has no L3 cache. the 960t is a quad, but it's a quad based on thurban called zosma, meaning it started out life as a 6-core chip & has had 2 cores deactivated for whatever reason. sometimes you can get lucky & they'll unlock (with an appropriate motherboard) giving you an extra core or two for free, sometimes you'll get nothing. don't count on it certainly unlocking, just take it as an added bonus if you do get some extra functionality for free :D

here's the toms review of the cpu from back when it was orginally announced http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x4-960t-zosma-core-unlocking,2627.html

jpoos

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
the "phenom" II 840 is basically just a rebranded athlon II with a speedbump, has no L3 cache. the 960t is a quad, but it's a quad based on thurban called zosma, meaning it started out life as a 6-core chip & has had 2 cores deactivated for whatever reason. sometimes you can get lucky & they'll unlock (with an appropriate motherboard) giving you an extra core or two for free, sometimes you'll get nothing. don't count on it certainly unlocking, just take it as an added bonus if you do get some extra functionality for free :D

here's the toms review of the cpu from back when it was orginally announced http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-x4-960t-zosma-core-unlocking,2627.html

Solution

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

the reason for the PSU jump to 1000w was because of the amount of power the new bulldozer cpus are requiring. after reading some reviews and a lil advice from someone who posted on my build thread i calculated the power consumption with a bulldozer would be roughly 900w at which the 850w would struggle a lil. The reason for the 1000w is if i upgrade the cpu in the future when/if bulldozer has improved a bit or piledriver (think thats what it is called) comes out as that should still be am3+ well hope it is anyway.

If i have got my calcs wrong plz let me know ;)

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

thanks for that piece of info about the 840 didn't notice it had no l3 cache when i took a quick glance at it tho i assume it would still be ok if i wanted to use it as a temporary cpu (would rather just get a cpu to last for a year or so bulldozer should have all its lil kinks out by then with a lil luck). With the 960t would it be better to keep it as a quad core instead of unlocking it to a 5-6 core depending if the cores are not damaged or unstable? also would it be ok to keep it as a quad but up the multiplier to reach 3.4ghz or would this screw up due to the turbo factor?

Still trying to get my head around what turbo means i know what it does in a car but I'm guessing that the turbo increases the cpu speed under a certain load due to the 2 cores being locked out? I'm probably wrong but that's what im assuming they mean by turbo.

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
So i was just about to build myself a new pc all parts nicely picked out and when i was about to order them yesterday i noticed something rather sad :( The cpu i wanted (phenom x4 955 be) was no longer available as it was taken off the site i was going to purchase it. Initally thought no biggie ill just go for the 965 but low and behold that was taken off as well. I think this is because the store just got in the new bulldozer cpu (well the 8 core and 6 core).

So i would like a lil help choosing a new cpu as i dont know what to get anymore. Lil bit of info about my rig is that it is mostly for gaming. There is also the chance i will be going to university for a degree in games technology which focuses on gaming and simulation theory, software and development. All of my other computer parts can be found here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/324131-31-does-gaming-system-meet-tick-approval

tho the PSU has changed to a 1000w power supply instead of the 850w due to parts being changed in the future.

So the cpu list i have to chose from are
AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_345&products_id=13493

AMD Phenom II X4 840 http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_345&products_id=16670

AMD Phenom II X4 960T Black Edition http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=187_345&products_id=18600

There is the choice of the six core Phenoms but as i have done some research i know the quads are better for gaming but i cant seem to find barely any info on the 960t BE and im a lil thrown as to whether this cpu is any good for games or if normal overclock (raising the multiplier) so it runs around 3.4-3.6Ghz instead of the base 3.0Ghz will work due to the turbo? Dont really understand how turbo works but sure someone on here will be able to help me out.

Big thanks in advance everyone on this forum has been a great help so far :)

Cheers
FenrirWC

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Ahh that link explains alot so the turbo helps boost the first two cores. so amd 960t runs anywhere between 3.0ghz off boost up to 3.4 with it on. so would uping the multiplier so it ran at 3.4 nulify the turbo or would it still try to turbo? Another option im thinking would be to get the 960t up it to 3.4ghz and turn the turbo off. never had to deal with turbo before but that article did help alot thanks jpoos

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
Thanks for the help guys computer is in the works and should be all good. Thanks for the info about turbo still dont quite understand the use of it if i can disable it and just up the clock speeds but o well should be right while i wait for bulldozer to sort out its kinks or piledriver comes out.

Thanks again
FenrirWC