First Time Computer Build

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Solution
The parts are all compatible and will be a suitable gaming rigs and should also fit your needs. You chose a 750W Corsair so I hope you plan to at least add on another 560 ti in the future. Otherwise, you should be good to go ;)!

wintermint

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
The parts are all compatible and will be a suitable gaming rigs and should also fit your needs. You chose a 750W Corsair so I hope you plan to at least add on another 560 ti in the future. Otherwise, you should be good to go ;)!

Solution

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Thanks for the double check!

And adding another GPU in SLI was another thing I was unsure about. I am unsure if what I will be running will ever need that. Will the 560 ti be enough to run my games with the highest settings at a good framerate? I do not know too much about specific computer parts, but I did a bit of research on that card and I am still unsure.

Another question I have is about thermal paste. Do I need to buy a tube of it for the installation of the fan/heatsink?

Thanks again!

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
OK thanks for the info about the Hyper 212!

I was thinking about a monitor with a 1920x1080 resolution, I was looking at this monitor but it is out of stock at the moment:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6798095&CatId=2775

Is there any monitor you would recommend if I cannot get this one? I was thinking in the 20" - 21" range, preferably under $200 with a 2ms response time, I am having trouble finding a good monitor, I don't really know what brands to trust or anything.

Thanks again!

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
to mgoon11: Thanks so much for those monitors! They both definately fit the bill of what I was looking for, and the best part - they are the same price on newegg.ca! I am really liking the 23" monitor, for $189 and those specs I think it is a good deal

to kajabla: I don't think I will be playing any games like that, mainly Rift, League of Legends, and other games of the sort. But thanks for the help with those!

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
The GTX 560 Ti will do fine and upgrades if you ever need to won't be a problem, and your welcome I've been looking for monitors before myself and those have always been very attractive to me especially with discounts or rebates - sorry I didn't know you were in Canada, did the 23" also have the rebate? If not I still think its a great buy personally.

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Yes the 23" did have the rebate on the Canadian site as well, but like you said even without it I also think it is a really good deal.

I do not think I have ever seen a contrast ratio that high, 50,000,000:1? I am used to seeing like 10,000:1 or 100,000:1. What exactly does this mean/do?

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I'm no expert and probably can't really say anything with real authority but the more the better I would say (of course until its past the point of reason obviously haha) and actually don't be fooled by that even I was astonished and happy about that but if you notice it's in ASCR, Asus's own measurements - heres a little from the "overview" page on newegg:

ASCR (ASUS Smart Contrast Ratio) Technology ASCR Technology automatically adjusts the luminance of the backlight for better displays according to the image contents, and improves the contrast ratio to 50,000,000:1 for more realistic depictions of night scenes during games or movies.

So in reality, it's probably less than 50,000,000:1 haha. However, Asus is a good brand I'm sure the real measurement is probably still really high and the quality is excellent.

mgoon11

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
Oh and also sorry, the 10,000: 1 and 100,000:1 ratios you are seeing is probably from regular LCD's dynamic contrast ratio or some other ratio. LED LCD contrast ratio's are in the millions. But again, I'm no expert and I'm sure there's reasoning behind all of this that someone else can explain, otherwise as everyone always say, Google is your friend lol.

jgach20

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
Oh I see, I think I understand what I was seeing now. Thanks for all of your input and help, I really appreciate it! If I have any more questions I will be posting here, and if anyone sees anything with my build worth noting, feel free to post, I will not be ordering it for a few weeks, just circumstancial and some more research!

Thanks everyone!