Core i5 2500K 800Mhz? Help

Hi, I ordered my Core i5 2500k recently with a ECS p67h2-a2. The motherboard broke (don't know how, I didn't even overclock...) with a bad CMOS, so I can't do anything with it right now. When I was running it, for the day I had it working, it said my CPU was running at 1.6Ghz. I was thinking it was probably just a energy saving thing that is built into all modern CPUs. I tried to disable it in the BIOS and through Windows, but I could not. In the BIOS it said energy saver mode, custom, and disabled. I tried disabled, no go. I Then gave it some CPU load when I booted back into Windows, and lo-and-behold, it bumped up to 3.3Ghz, so I didn't really care. The CPU was acting normal. I booted into windows again and then my CPU was running @ 800Mhz. Does anyone know why? My multiplier was set to 33 X 100FSB. Is this a CPU issue, or a BIOS issue. When I tried to fix it, it wouldn't let me boot back into windows..... The CMOS was bad... It wouldn't even accept a clear CMOS. So I couldn't figure out the issue. Bad motherboard, or CPU?

Thanks, just wanted to make sure my CPU is normal.

Okay, as I said before, I don't have the board at the moment. I will try it though. I tried disabling Intel Speed step before, but I don't think it worked. Do they normally run at 800Mhz when slowed down? Is this most likely a CPU or board problem? Thanks for the help guys. Also, what does C1E stand for?

Okay, I will try it when my motherboard gets back. I just shipped it today. Does this sound like a CPU or motherboard BIOS issue? I am thinking BIOS issue because my CMOS was bad.

G

First step: Sell off that board when you get it back. I've used ECS in the past (back when Fry's would sell them as combo's for super low prices. Before they were caught in a kick-back scheme) and it's the only brand I've ever had where a Sata connector just came off in my hand. Get a Asus or Gigabyte or ASRock. The BIOS support (or support in general) from that company is horrid at best, non-existent at worse. I don't mean to bag, but that right there will fix the problem.

First step: Sell off that board when you get it back. I've used ECS in the past (back when Fry's would sell them as combo's for super low prices. Before they were caught in a kick-back scheme) and it's the only brand I've ever had where a Sata connector just came off in my hand. Get a Asus or Gigabyte or ASRock. The BIOS support (or support in general) from that company is horrid at best, non-existent at worse. I don't mean to bag, but that right there will fix the problem.
I do not think that is true with their new line-up of black series boards. It got great reviews from what I have seen and seems to be built very well. I sent the board back fro RMA. I want to know if this a CPU issue or board issue. As long as my board comes back working, I should be fine if it is not a CPU issue. Does this sound like a CPU or motherboard problem?

Okay, thanks, I will try to post back on this thread when I get it back. I sure hope it works. I think it is probably a BIOS issue too because my CPU looks fine (no burn marks), and the motherboard was having issues. Thanks for the help. I will choose a best answer later after I reply how it went.

Intel® Speedstep® is an energy saving feature that clocks the speed on the processor down when it isn't doing anything. For the Intel Core® i5-2500K the speed that it should run at with Intel Speedstep is 1.6GHz. While it is a setting in the Bios to disable the feature you should be able to enable it again. To run at 800MHz it would have to be a Bios issue of some type.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Sweet, so the it couldn't even be a CPU issue? That is what you are trying to say?