Sign in with
Your question

Is an 850 Watt PSU enough or should I upgrade

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2011 2:06:47 AM

Right now I have a Seasonic 850x Gold rated psu. The Seasonic is a good quality psu so it should be able to put out the said 850 watts on the rail. I'm doing so upgrading and what I want to know is should I keep the 850 watt or upgrade to a 1000 watt PSU? This is what I have now

I5 2500K
Radeon 6970
8 gigs of Corsair Vengence Ram
850 Watt psu
1TB HDD
128mb SSD
GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Mobo

I would like to do another 6970 for a crossfire config and of course over clock them. I would also like to put in a custom water cooling loop and once thats all done overclock the CPU. My concearns are the overclocked cpu, and overclocked dual video cards will really stress the PSU. Add that to a water pump and rad fans and all that its really going to start pushing the edge. So will a 850 watt PSU be enough or should I go with something bigger just to be safe?

More about : 850 watt psu upgrade

a c 80 ) Power supply
October 30, 2011 3:04:25 AM

I would go with the 1000w psu because it sounds to me that you will be adding even more later on and you want to have enough power to do so. Besides like you said you start adding fans and a pump and another card it starts to add up. I started out with a 1200w and added a second psu because I just kept adding.
m
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2011 3:05:58 AM

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
m
l
October 30, 2011 3:59:41 AM

I got 768 Watts on when I used Thermaltakes PC Power Supply Calculator. So I would still have room to work with but not much.
m
l
October 30, 2011 6:06:22 AM

I think you should be fine... I guess just get the hardware you want, and check how much wattage you really use while gaming, or doing what you do. Should be fine though for now
m
l
October 30, 2011 12:34:19 PM

then the current psu would be very well fitted to ur hardware requirements..
m
l
!