Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Battle vs id, ego and superego. Which Mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 27, 2012 8:44:14 PM

I'm getting close to having all of my parts bought for my first gaming build. I am ahead of my budget as I unexpectedly came into a tax refund.

In short I have about an excess of $100 dollars. The question is do I upgrade my motherboard or CPU or spend it elsewhere/save?

What I am asking for is your recommendations on a mobo and what you would do if you were in my situation. I mostly plan to play games and other media. Here is my current setup, minus what I'm asking about.

Case: Haf X
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80Plus Gold
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
RAM: G. SKILL RipJaws X 2x4gb 1600
Optical: Asus DVD-RW or Blu-ray (haven't bought or decided yet, most likely dvd burner)
SSD: Either Samsung 830, Kingston Hyperx 3k or Chronos Deluxe+Atlas
Water Cooling kit: Essentially the Raystorm RX360 kit with 3 hpb 120mm cougar fans.

Here is the dilemma between these choices, or rather if I am overthinking it.

Originally I had planned to get the i5 3570k, since it's hella cheap and I don't need hyper threading for gaming. Also I planned to get the Asus P8Z77-V Pro.
That said, I can take it a step further and can upgrade to the i7 3770k or go to the Asus Maximus Formula

My thoughts though are that if I go with the 3570k: I'm probably not going to get any real world use out of it. I will mostly be playing games or watching netflix/hulu.
And with the Maximus Formula: Water cooling the vrm is nice, the sound card is nice, hell the msata and plx chip are nice. But I don't plan on OCing past 4.5ghz, I don't plan on using this build to do anything more than 2 card sli. Is it really worth the $80?

I'm at an impasse. I'd take recommendations for other mobos or anything. Thanks for reading my delirium. :D 
a b V Motherboard
July 27, 2012 8:50:57 PM

elijahsearle said:
I'm getting close to having all of my parts bought for my first gaming build. I am ahead of my budget as I unexpectedly came into a tax refund.

In short I have about an excess of $100 dollars. The question is do I upgrade my motherboard or CPU or spend it elsewhere/save?

What I am asking for is your recommendations on a mobo and what you would do if you were in my situation. I mostly plan to play games and other media. Here is my current setup, minus what I'm asking about.

Case: Haf X
PSU: Seasonic 750w 80Plus Gold
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW
RAM: G. SKILL RipJaws X 2x4gb 1600
Optical: Asus DVD-RW or Blu-ray (haven't bought or decided yet, most likely dvd burner)
SSD: Either Samsung 830, Kingston Hyperx 3k or Chronos Deluxe+Atlas
Water Cooling kit: Essentially the Raystorm RX360 kit with 3 hpb 120mm cougar fans.

Here is the dilemma between these choices, or rather if I am overthinking it.

Originally I had planned to get the i5 3570k, since it's hella cheap and I don't need hyper threading for gaming. Also I planned to get the Asus P8Z77-V Pro.
That said, I can take it a step further and can upgrade to the i7 3770k or go to the Asus Maximus Formula

My thoughts though are that if I go with the 3570k: I'm probably not going to get any real world use out of it. I will mostly be playing games or watching netflix/hulu.
And with the Maximus Formula: Water cooling the vrm is nice, the sound card is nice, hell the msata and plx chip are nice. But I don't plan on OCing past 4.5ghz, I don't plan on using this build to do anything more than 2 card sli. Is it really worth the $80?

I'm at an impasse. I'd take recommendations for other mobos or anything. Thanks for reading my delirium. :D 

Well, an extra 100, I'd pass on the Maximus Formula... May be the Sabertooth Z77 ? If not that, then the 3770K maybe a good choice.
Score
July 28, 2012 12:24:44 AM

Well then what's your take on the pro vs sabertooth?

My take is that they're pretty much equal 'cept for warrantee, fan headers, sensors and the slots for 40mm fans and minus wifi.
Score
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 28, 2012 12:38:14 AM

elijahsearle said:
Well then what's your take on the pro vs sabertooth?

My take is that they're pretty much equal 'cept for warrantee, fan headers, sensors and the slots for 40mm fans and minus wifi.

I prize the 5 year warranty. I unfortunately had some ASus boards die at the mark of 3 years, and the warranty process left me very bitter about their support, and those were good boards (well 1 particularly good).

BUT, as Urban Legend said, if you are not planning to keep your rig for 5 years, that may be a waste of money.
Score
July 28, 2012 2:21:41 AM

Best answer selected by elijahsearle.
Score
a c 328 V Motherboard
July 28, 2012 6:00:43 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!