Frequent Freezing Problem [T.T Help]

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Issue
Hello, I just recently have built my first computer. Everything works fine when I'm surfing online, but when I try to watch a video or play games of any sort, it frequently freezes. I do not know what the cause may be; therefore, need your help.

Freezing Description
The computer doesn't always freeze, but frequently does. When it does freeze, the keyboard, mouse, or the headset doesn't even respond. Also, the headset goes crazy by being all static and looping over the last sound output. After a while, the static sound disappear, but the computer doesn't respond to anything and I have to reboot it.
PS: There is no problems while booting.

Specs
CPU: Intel core i5 Sandy Bridge 2500K [new]
Mobo: Msi P67-GD53 (B3) [new]
GPU: GIgabyte SOC GeForce GTX 560 Ti [new]
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 [new]
HDD: WD 500GB [Used for 1 year]
PSU: Corsair TX650 [new]
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech Wave Combo MK550
Monitor: HP 2009m [1600 x 900 Resolution] / [Used 2 years]

Programs I run
Game Booster
AVG Anti-Virus Free

Things I've tried
Updating My GPU drivers
Defrag the HDD
Run a virus check
Run Memtest: At first, I got 2 errors, but after reinstalling the ram, I didn't get any error even after 103%
Run Memory Diagnostic Tool : No error

Conclusion
I do not know what to do at this point, but I will rerun the memtest to double check if my RAM is fine and reupdate the GPU drivers.

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Summary from Everest:

Computer:
User Name
OS Service Pack -
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Home Edition
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name

Motherboard:
System Memory 4064 MB
Motherboard Name Unknown
Motherboard Chipset Unknown
CPU Type 4x , 3300 MHz
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
BIOS Type Unknown

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Monitor HP 2009 Series Wide LCD Monitor [NoDB] (CNC9230YFT)

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]
Audio Adapter High Definition Audio Controller [NoDB]

Storage:
SMART Hard Disks Status OK
SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator
Optical Drive DTSoftBusCd00
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GH30N ATA Device
IDE Controller Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C08
IDE Controller Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 1C00
Disk Drive WDC WD5000AAKS-00V1A0 ATA Device (465 GB, IDE)

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 476937 MB (344942 MB free)

Input:
Mouse HID-compliant mouse
Mouse Logitech HID-compliant Unifying Mouse
Keyboard HID Keyboard Device
Keyboard Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard

Network:
Network Adapter Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (192.168.1.64)

Peripherals:
USB2 Controller Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C26 [NoDB]
USB2 Controller Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1C2D [NoDB]
USB1 Controller Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller [NoDB]
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Generic USB Hub
USB Device Logitech Unifying USB receiver
USB Device USB Composite Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
USB Device USB Human Interface Device
Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer

Double check your voltages and make sure it all meets manufacturer specs. Your RAM might need 1.65V. Are you running Memtest86+ from a bootable USB stick?

Also, try downloading LinX:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?201670-LinX-A-simple-Linpack-interface
If it's not your RAM, then it could be CPU settings. This will help to isolate the CPU.

Considering the problems sound like they're graphics related, I'm inclined to think drivers--but you just did a clean install of drivers?

Are you sure your graphics are all connected correctly (both in 8x slots, sli-bridge connected, all power cables attached)?

After you check those items, I'll see if I can come up with some more creative causes.

AlExAlExAlEx

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
You're wrong, Game Booster actually helps.

I was unable to play CoD: Black Ops on normal with my PC, it kept lagging, lagging.FPS lag, like screen freezed for 0.5 seconds every 2 seconds.I ran gamebooster and then everything was smooth as glass.It doesn't help like, play crysis 2 on ultra, but it does help.

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Gamebooster just reduces some programs that eats your RAM. I don't use much ram, so I really don't see much difference when using it or not.

Anyways, here is my result from the LinX Test
The test lasted 50 mins with no errors.
I used 1024MB with 100 test runs
Time: 21~24 [Average of 23]
GFlops: 40~46 [Average of 43]

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"You're wrong, Game Booster actually helps. "

It may help by setting some more extreme values on timing related variables of the OS /in general you may do the same if you know what exactly to alter in the registry/, but the reason Windows is not setting these things that way by default is bacause it's trying to keep compatibility to the variety of hardware.
Here's the problem - setting the values more thight hurts compatibility with hardware.
It's OK if you don't experience problems in your system, but is also the first think to get rid of in case of a BSOD.
But just getting rid of it may not help, as it may allready done the damage by setting "bad" values in the registry /and maybe not only there, there are anso ntconfig etc./

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
It's weird. Whenever my computer crashes, it doesn't give a BSoD or anything. The screen just freezes, along with the sound, and static sounds pop up. But as for now, I haven't met any crashes while surfing or watching videos. I even tried turning on 10 videos all at once, and I didn't crash. I'll try the games and will tell you if anything happens.

Well that sounds like your CPU isn't the problem. Have you run Memtest86+? I'm more familiar with that than Memtest. Run it from a bootable USB stick on startup and go through a couple runs. But what's your RAM voltage? Double check all your voltages against manufacturer specs.

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
The ram voltage is 1.5V. I did run memtest86, but not the ones for usb or cd. I got memtest86 4.0 from http://hcidesign.com/memtest/. I'll try using that again.

PS: I just played lol and didn't crash, but it doesn't always crash. I'm now thinking that this may be related to heat even though my cpu is normally at 40C~50C with the GPU at less than 40C

magician0091

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
yeah, well it seems like the computer is working fine now. I guess it was a improper installment of ram, or bad drivers or something... Thanks for the advices.. But I'll be keeping a keen eye for another 3 days or so