Wireless keyboard and mouse recomendation

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I am in the market for a wireless keyboard and mouse. They will be up to 11 feet away from the computer and may not have direct LoS all the time. I would prefer the mouse to be laser and at least 1000 dpi. I am looking to not break the bank so if things need to be sacrificed for price or performance thats fine. I currently use a MX518 mouse and a G15 1st gen keyboard. the wifi will be used in addition to these for when im across the room from my comp.

I have seen the Logitech 5000 series wifi keyboard and mouse but do not like it, the keyboard is ok but the mouse and its charging pedistol i do not like. The only wireless mouse i have used was teh G7 with its hot swap battery packs. if possible i would prefer a keyboard and mouse to have such packs. I have not spent much time with wireless devices as i have always prefered wired and thus am some what out of the loop so to speak.

I would appreciate any recommendations. as far as price goes the cheaper the better but i would like to stay under 100.00 for both. ebay is always an option.

thanks

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
which Microsoft keyboard? i have used the Microsoft keyboard with that black oval usb receiver. i ended up smashing that keyboard in half it was so bad. (this i had to use at work). this was back in 2007, have they come out with a new one that works better?

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010

I have a Microsoft kb and mouse, but replacing them for wired. I know the range is not great. But I think it's because of other frequency interference with other things (metallic constructs, cordless phones, wireless router, CFL bulbs, etc).

Have you seen Logitech's solar keyboard? That looks interesting but not sure about the range. It's also a little costly.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
My main concerns are as follows: the mouse must have at least 5 buttons, the range must be at least 11 feet with out signal drop off, they keyboard just needs to have keys. The reason for myself wanting a wifi setup is i just built a bed to replace my old futon, thus when im in bed i am 6 feet 4 inches off the ground and my computer is 9 feet across the room from me, thus i would like to have a setup i could keep the mouse/keyboard in the bed and only use it when im up there. I found a few old G7 mice and i just emailed logitech on how to get a new receiver, if they can send me one then all i will need is a keyboard.

neograndizer

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Just another suggestion, though I don't know if you're willing to try it out or how the room is like. Get a USB cord (a couple of feet) that's long enough to come away from your computer and run across the wall. At the end mount the receiver with some double sided adhesive or velcro). That way, distance shouldn't be a real issue and you can still have LoS?

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
yea, i was thinking of doing that as well. id just like to not have wires adn such to get tangled and ripped out by blankets. going along the wall id have to run about 20 ft of usb, i think i have enough cable in the garage to do this. perhaps...