QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hello all, I would really appreciate some help. I'm inheriting a state-of-the-art gaming rig, which unfortunately doesn't hold-up by today's standards, as it was top of the line in 2006. This computer means a lot to me, so I would rather upgrade it than build a new rig. The case is in great condition and looks awesome, the PSU is 550w or so. Obviously, I would have to replace the mobo, GPU, CPU, and RAM. I'm just wondering how I should go-about doing so.

The computer is outfitted with a water-cooling system, which I'll likely have to remove. I'm not sure if there is also a fan in it. I'm looking to play higher-end games, especially the forthcoming BF3 on higher settings. I want to replace the parts with:

mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128495&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Motherboards+-+Intel-_-GIGABYTE-_-13128495
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
or
AMD Phenom II X4 955
or
Intel i5 2500k

GPU: GeForce GTX 570
or
GeForce GTX 560

RAM: 6GB or 8GB DDR3

In other words: I need someone to tell me if I can upgrade this computer easily, and if so, which set of parts would be the best cost-to-value ratio for game performance. Thank you so much.

Solution
Yes you can do it yourself

Your version of windows is probably going to need replacing too , so keep that in mind in terms of cost
You will need a 64 bit OS to use all the RAM you want to install so for most people Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM is the best choice . It costs $100

Computer parts are all built to standards like ATX , so you know an ATX case , motherboard , power supply will all fit .
You dont say what the case you have is , but if [ when you look at the front of it ] the left side comes off to reveal the components its almost certainly an ATX or micro -ATX . And that would account for 99% of computer systems .

If the right side of the case comes off to reveal the components then it may be BTX and you are better off...
i5 2500k
P67 chip set mb motherboard
2 x2 gig of ram
GTX 570 or Radeon 6950
[ your monitor resolution is important here and if you are using an older monitor either of these is way overkill and you could drop back to a 6870 , or GTX 560 ]

If you go with AMD you should know that AMD will soon release new processors so the smart money buys a motherboard with the 990 or 970 series chip sets for full compatibility with future hardware
Phenom 955
2 x2 gig of ram
And the same graphics cards choices

The Intel processor is stronger [ and more expensive ], but that doesnt necessarily make a difference in games especially when you have high resolutions and high details turned on because then the computational power of the graphics card is usually the limiting factor and not the cpu

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Yes, I'm torn between which (AMD/Intel) to get, as you can see.

I need to have 6 or 8 GB of memory for some of the other programs that I'm running, and that's only $55 so it doesn't matter much.

The monitor is 1920 x 1200, and it is a bit old, but it still is very nice and crisp.

What exactly is the p67 chipset? Is that important?

Are there any good ~$100 990/970 mobos?

And finally, and most importantly, do you think that a first-timer could replace all of these without screwing everything up if he's careful? :p

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I can ask for the specs of the old computer if that would help determining what would fit in the case.

I think I'm going to go the AMD route, with the 955 instead of the i5 2500k -- I just can't justify spending $100 more on something that will marginally increase my performance, and the AMD looks to have better upgradeability, as you said. I'm also going to go for the Radeon 6950.

Any assistance in how to install any of this? Whatever you need to know, I'll call-up the previous owner and try and get some answers. Thanks! :)

Yes you can do it yourself

Your version of windows is probably going to need replacing too , so keep that in mind in terms of cost
You will need a 64 bit OS to use all the RAM you want to install so for most people Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit OEM is the best choice . It costs $100

Computer parts are all built to standards like ATX , so you know an ATX case , motherboard , power supply will all fit .
You dont say what the case you have is , but if [ when you look at the front of it ] the left side comes off to reveal the components its almost certainly an ATX or micro -ATX . And that would account for 99% of computer systems .

If the right side of the case comes off to reveal the components then it may be BTX and you are better off just buying a new case than trying to source components .

P67 is the chipset [ motherboard ] chip that is used on socket 1155 motherboards that run the 2500k processor . Motherboards with H61 , H67 and Z68 chipsets are also capable of running that processor but have different features/limitations . Actually the Z68 has the best features of all of them and can be the preferred option but they generally cost more and not superior for gaming ,so then P67 becomes the option .

4 gig is plenty for gaming . Video editing , and/or transcoding and image manipulation can use more so you'd install 2 x4 gig of RAM for a total of 8 gig

You will probably need a new power supply too . They do age . 650 Watts will give you plenty of head room . Maybe 750 watts if you might add a second graphics card later , but my experience is that its usually better to buy one newer generation card than buy a second older card

There are plenty of online tutorials you could read on how to assemble a computer . Ask google and the information is right there .

Solution

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
I'll ask about the case tomorrow. If I remember it's an ASUS. Not that that helps in any way.

It already has Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit. :)

I'm all good with the PSU. Found a good 650w one for $60, if the current one doesn't work.

I'm going to go for the 6950 and the Phenom II 955. This is below budget, and I'm quite happy, which leaves me suspicious if I can spend more and get better performance. To put my brain to rest, can you please tell me that it will run most games on highest settings (if true)?

So this setup will work in an ATX case:

CPU: http://www.amazon.com/AMD-HDZ955FBGMBOX-Phenom-3-2GHz-Retail/dp/B002TQYUAE
GPU: http://www.amazon.com/XFX-6950-800M-Video-HD695XZNFC/dp/B004LB5AT0
RAM: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Technology-Modules-KHX1600C9D3K2-8GX/dp/B0037TO5C0/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1312174274&sr=1-5
PSU, if need be: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371044

And I still would like a suggestion on a good, cheap 990 or 970 mobo. Hopefully around $100. Or would this still be ok: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157243

Thanks for the help! :)

QwertyMusicMan

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Ok... before I pull the trigger, would the i5 2500k really be worth the extra $100 over the 455, all things considered? Using the i5 would put me at the very top of my budget, so is it really that good? I don't think that it will improve my performance by that much, but I want to hear a second opinion.