Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Building a gaming machine any help?

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 1, 2011 4:14:46 AM

Building a gaming machine for BF3 so far we are at $500 for the setup anyone have an idea on the graphics card I can get?

Rosewill steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case


MSI 970A-G45 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard (For bulldozer of course)



AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDX840WFGMBOX (Temp processor till bulldozer)


G.SKILL NS 4GB DDR3 RAM

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s


ASUS CD burner 24x

Antec 650w psu

I am only missing a video card for this setup any help, ideas?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2011 4:39:43 AM

Hi, drop down to a 500W PSU from either Antec or Corsair. A DVD burner from Lite-On or Sony Optiarc is only $20 free shipping. May want to switch to Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM for better performance. I like using ATI but that's just me. You can find a 460 for around $120 after MIR or go for a 6850 for $135 after MIR maybe. If you plan to oversli get at least 700W.
m
0
l
August 1, 2011 5:06:50 AM

How much can you spend on a video card? If your budget is:

~$500, I would go for the GTX 580.

~$300, I would go for the GTX 570.

~$200, I would go for the Radeon HD 6950

~$100 You should get some more money together if you want to run BF3.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2011 5:57:34 AM

You shouldn't spend any more than $20 on the optical drive. Sony Optiarc and Lite-On has $20 free shipping on newegg. There's also the Asus oem one but it's $1 shipping but Amazon has the same model for $20 free shipping. For $200 I would buy the 560ti. If you look, there should be a OC'd one for around $200 after MIR. 560 ti < 6950 < 560 ti OC'd.
m
0
l
August 1, 2011 6:07:56 AM

wintermint said:
You shouldn't spend any more than $20 on the optical drive. Sony Optiarc and Lite-On has $20 free shipping on newegg. There's also the Asus oem one but it's $1 shipping but Amazon has the same model for $20 free shipping. For $200 I would buy the 560ti. If you look, there should be a OC'd one for around $200 after MIR. 560 ti < 6950 < 560 ti OC'd.


I respectfully disagree. On higher resolutions the 6950 out-performs the 560 ti. And I would rather not OC if possible, but that's just me.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-vs-gef...
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2011 6:29:42 PM

QwertyMusicMan said:
I respectfully disagree. On higher resolutions the 6950 out-performs the 560 ti. And I would rather not OC if possible, but that's just me.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-6950-1gb-vs-gef...


You do know I placed the 6950 between the 560 ti and an OC'd 560 ti? That does mean that at stock performance without factory overclock.. the 6950 will outperform the 560 ti. I don't know why are you disagreeing lol.
m
0
l
August 1, 2011 8:33:06 PM

I added the Antec PSU for 650w, but now I need a video card I can spend up to $300 so any suggestions? And the ram I am buying in 2 qtys so I get 8gb instead of 4gb. I am thinking of a GTX 570 or would a 6970 work?
m
0
l
August 1, 2011 8:57:53 PM

the 6850 should run quite well for only 150. also, that processor is crap. for an extra 10 bucks on tiger direct, you can get a amd 955, quad core 3.2 ghz cpu with 2000 mhz bus speed. that one's bus speed is only 667.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
August 1, 2011 11:24:43 PM

Thecrazygame13 said:
I added the Antec PSU for 650w, but now I need a video card I can spend up to $300 so any suggestions? And the ram I am buying in 2 qtys so I get 8gb instead of 4gb. I am thinking of a GTX 570 or would a 6970 work?


That depends on what game you're playing and at what resolution. The 570 and 6970 are even in some areas, and clear winners in others. Here's a benchmark. You should be within the fps you see in the list. http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/306?vs=292 Regarding his choice of a 840. It is better to purchase a Phenom II x4 955 which can be had for around $120 [should check] but seeing how it's only a temporary CPU to fill in. It should fill his needs, dont ya think? :p 
Share
August 2, 2011 7:58:43 AM

Alrite I will settle with a GTX 570 since its a tad cheap thanks for your help guys.

And the lower resolution seems to be better for GTX anyways
m
0
l
August 9, 2011 1:20:11 AM

Best answer selected by Thecrazygame13.
m
0
l
!