sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Hi guys, I don't know if anyone else have lag issue with this game but I am getting like 25-30 frames per second with SBAO and Ubersampling and AA off.

System specs:

ATI 5970
AMD 1055t 2.8GHZ 6 core CPU
4GB of RAM
Gigabyte GA-890FXA UD5 motherboard

I have just re-installed Vista 64 bit and updated my videocard driver to 11.5 which is the latest. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
This issue is comming up alot now. when I was having problems with my games with low framerates I ended up getting rid of ccc and used trxx sapphire tweak utillity....seemed to free up my card and I was able to oc my 5770 from 850/1200 stock( ccc only let me clock to 960/1333) but uninstalled ccc and went for the trixx now I can clock my card @1050/1490 big difference from ccc. That seemed to stop my crashing and freezing and lagging in my games.

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009

Thanks but can you please elaborate on that please? My system do freeze a lot lately and i think it has to do with my GPU as I do get this pop-up that says "display have recovered from fatal error etc..." once in a while. I will give what you did to ur videocard a try. What is a safe temp for my GPU by the way? This is my version:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=403&Itemid=47&limit=1&limitstart=3

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Thats a really good card. safe temps for these cards can run at mid to high 80s with overvoting( if you have that option) that error msg is that ccc is shutting down your display cuz it restricts your card so much anyways thats your core clock shutting down your display driver Im assuming your running 11.5 driver?

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Ok guys I have noticed that when I play games, the bottom and top of my screen has black lines as if watching a letterbox movie. Also I see "ATI" logo on top right corner when I play this game.

First off for the Witcher 2, there's already a thread on the performance issues which I made. The fix is 11.5b driver update. Get it now.

Secondly, for the letterboxing, the game is widescreen. If you aren't playing on a widescreen monitor then you will get that. Otherwise, you probably have your resolution set wrong.

Oh and finally, overclocking wouldn't stop freezing from happening. If anything it would induce freezing. Overclocking is just going to unleash a little more power to gain a couple FPS.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
I still recommend uninstalling ccc. it restricts your card performance always has always will its like a middle man...ccc DOES bottleneck your system and reduce the performance you can get with yous hd cards. I have had issues with the oc ing of my gfx but when I got rid of ccc and used trixx it jumped my card up another level...when I was getting studdering and freezing it was from ccc that restricted what my card could do.you have to remember when using ccc the input goes through that app(ccc) and it tells it what it should be able to do. But as wolfram said sometime overclocking in ccc will hurt your performance but I found that gettin rid of that I could free up my card and have no problems running any game thats out now( with the exception of metro 2033....have not played the game on my rig since my last gfx upgrade). I have givin advice with positive feed back when using ccc you sometimes have to revert to stock settings or even underclock for some games to work smoothly....BUT I cant stress ENOUGH that ccc is a bad app that restricts your cards true performance gains from overclocking.

CCC on it's own works perfectly fine. CCC when paired up with another program that adjusts clocks cause problems. CCC with MSI Afterburner can cause problems, especially if you OC beyond the factor limits. The same goes for Smart doctor, and likely Trixx.

If you don't use those programs to adjust your clocks, you should be fine with CCC, otherwise you may need to disable it. Unfortunately, without CCC installed, you lose the ability to adjust image quality settings.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

But then you have to take in the factor of what the game yoiur playing uses... you can adjust your setting thru the game instead of ccc... you dont need ccc....in my opinion and experience (which I DONT CLAIM TO BE A GURU AT) for me personally ccc doed restict you card or any cards performance I have tested this with a few cards and always got better performance without using ccc

CCC has several quality level settings that override or enhance in game settings, which you can adjust in the CCC. So ya, if you disable CCC, you will gain more FPS, but if you had quality enhancement settings set, you will lose them without CCC installed.

I get the same 3dmark11 scores with or without CCC installed (since it overrides anything set in CCC).

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Sorry to double post but yes using more that one overclocking app will hinder your rig or ccc will just override any other app that you use for oc ing. you should only use one app to do your overclocking. BUT I stand firm on ccc not being a great app for these cards....It (ithink) comes down to money.....it breaks down something like this....they put a cap on these cards by saying to install ccc to run yoiur games and what not.... But I have proven to myself after much research and personal experience that when I got rid off ccc my card preformed faster and was ALOT more stable @ higher clocks with NO bad implications like studdering or freezing and crashin like I was when I was goin thru ccc

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

Oh I dont disagree with you at all ....but then again you can just as easily adjust your in game aa and textures and what not for your 3d apps and games....hmmm 3dmark11? have to check that out.... but are you sayin you get the samre scores when overclocking or is it just stock clocks?

Not all games give you options to adjust some settings. Like texture filtering options and AF levels, or AA mode; these aren't always available in game.

What I'm saying is if you have the same clocks with CCC or with MSI Afterburner, or any other overclocking setup. Of course you'll get higher scores if you have different clock settings.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

I get what your sayin but Im dont think I get your point....ccc and msi afterburner (after burner utilizes riva tuner in there app) that both those programs limit your clock speeds you can unlock your clock speed with out those apps and gain a better card out of it there are way more oc utilities than those 2 for gfx cards and yes not all games have the options to render 3d but most do...how picky are we?

Name a better overclocking software than MSI Afterburner... that aren't brand specific?

Smart Doctor only works for ASUS cards, even if you flash your bios to ASUS' bios. Trixx requires you to have a Sapphire card.

Anyways, I just ran some benchmarks to test and I think you should too.

I just ran Metro2033 benchmarks with and without CCC running (I killed the CCC.exe in program manager). I have Very High Settings, AAA, and DOF enabled (no PhysX) at 1920x1200 resolution.
With CCC running I scored 41.26 average FPS
Without CCC running I scored 40.66 average FPS

I then ran 3dmark11
With CCC running, I scored P10064
Without CC running, I scored P10044

The scores without CCC running were lower, but that's probably just random luck, as the scores are really close, but if you insist there was no luck, then it ran better with CCC.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011

sure I can do that but we are getting totally of topic from what this thread is about....we are not helpin sammytheman out with our discussion....we should go to a private thread if you want to get into this....but you got me right off the top of my head i cant rattle off any names right off hand for non specific gfx oc's but I know there is other alternatives to the main stream....I have not got 3d11 just been runnin 3d06 and with ccc on in my sapphire 5770 at max oc in ccc @960/1333 stable any 1 point higher on my mem I would get issues found the tweak tool And I recommended it to another guy who has an xfx card and it worked for him, anyways I was getting a score of 17500 average where stock was just over16000 with the tweak tool Im able to clock to 1050/1490...stable..now thats a good jump for any card and really i dont miss the aa amd multi sampling cuz everything looks and runs great

Well, it's clear where you are getting confused on your assumptions.

CCC doesn't cause you to run slower.

CCC just doesn't have as high of overclocking limits as you get with other software, which really means you don't like Overdrive. CCC Overdrive doesn't offer voltage control, although with the 6xxx cards, it offers powertune which is required for best results and not available with other software yet.

If you know how to unlock the factory overclock limits, MSI Afterburner also allows you to raise those settings.

And I think I know why my score with Metro2033 scored higher with CCC, that's because PowerTune will let the cards run beyond the factory power limits. It'll be nice when other tools have the ability to adjust PowerTune. If you don't know, Metro2033 will power down for a couple seconds within Metro2033's benchmark unless PowerTune is turned up.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
my card does not have voltage control anyways...wish it did...(put up a pencil moddin thread up here but no one has answered back yet) but can you explain why in ccc I was only able to clock to 960/1333 stock 850/1200 and if I went one point over on mem then I would have issues and my 3d06 score was maybe high 17000 at best when now Im clocked @1050/1490 stable.....been running those clocks for close to a month now gettin a score of 18800-18900 and that was because I got rid of ccc and was able to clock my card higher than ccc would let me and still stable....why would that be if ccc does not restrict your card in someway?

It's not CCC that's giving you problems, it's Overdrive. No one is saying Overdrive is good overclocking software. It doesn't slow you comp down, it just doesn't have good control over overclocking. It doesn't let you adjust voltage which is often needed to be higher than stock in order to handle a high overclock. I've already agreed it's not good to run CCC when overclocking, because it can conflict with overdrive. It's fine otherwise. (I also noted that with the new 6xxx series, they introduced powerTune, which can make CCC required for a good overclock).

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
yeah Im not up on the 6xxx series at all....out of my range right now....plus I have not found a game yet thats givin me trouble and once need to replace it Ill defiantly. And I may have miss lead a bit when I dont use ccc....I use it anytime I get a new card to set it up but then I get rid of it and I donno why Im getting such better performance out of it but this is my gpuz shot....tried to link it on another page but didnt work but copy and paste this to your browser...http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/11/05/28/c7p.png

sammytheman

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Wow!!!! I come back to my thread and so many response BUT unfortunately none od it it is helping :(

Anyhow I tried installing 11.5B

Here is the error that I get:

http://imageshack.us/f/98/115ii.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/f/831/115bj.jpg/

By the way what the hell is "CCC" and how do I turn it off? F*uck I am beginning to hate PC gaming. 96% of games that come out for PCs are out for PS3 and Xbox 360 WITHOUT headaches. I have only bought 2 games in the past 12 months for PC: Starcraft 2 and Witcher 2

CCC is the Catalyst Control Center. You probably have some sort of conflict going on and unfortunately I don't see what it might be. Don't mind Viper, he's linking two different things together in his hate for CCC. The CCC is fine, except for overclocking, which you probably aren't interested in.

Try installing the drivers in custom mode and try it one part at a time. Otherwise, you could wait until they come out officially next month. If you wait, you just will have to turn a couple more settings down. Start with turning off UberSampling, SSAO and DoF.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
CCC is fine if your are happy with your clocks and how its running your stuff...its user friendly for sure....and yes using 2 different programs will "fight"with each other. when you re installed vista did you re install your chipset drivers?