Need a case for my first build

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Hey guys, so I just need to get a case to finish my build!
I was looking at this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119194

But my friend(who builds computers for a living who's been super helpful with other decisions in my build) has told me not to get this case. He thinks it looks low quality (flimsy, plasticky) and he says the cables in the case are very thick and appear to be all bunched up and messy. He told me if I'm going all out, I better get a good case, saying while this case is adequate, I should get something better.

As much as I trust his opinion, I feel like he seemed really biased against this case, so I'm asking you guys here for a second opinion.

He told me to get something like a Phantom. As much as I like the Phantom, I really want to go with this case because it seems well more ventilated (the whole front, top and side is mesh). I am looking for something that will give my case plenty of airflow to cool my parts well. But if I went with another "higher" quality case like the Phantom, would I notice a difference in the temps than in the Sniper? Or is case ventilation really not a problem at all?

Again this is my first build, so please tell me what you think of my decision, his opinion, and what I should go with? Thanks guys!

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
First of all if you have the room I would get a full tower case. They are so much easier to work on, especially this is your first built. Many midtowers your have to worry about if all your components will fit, especially GPUs and CPU coolers, and things can start getting cramped and hard to work on.

Yes a good case with good airflow will help with temps. How much? Well that depends which components your are using and how much overclocking you are going to be doing. Generally speaking it's not going to be a very dramatic difference. You will see a bigger difference with using good 3rd party coolers. Ovcourse you don't want a terrible case either where its going to trap all the heat inside and not exauste it out. CM make some great coolers. My favorite is the HAF X that has excellent air flow, front usb3& sata ports, and a ton of room for even the biggest of coolers. But a lot comes down to personal preference as well.

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
I do like the Haf X, but it's really a lot of features I don't need.

Basically I need a case that has:
Exceptional ventilation/cooling
Great cable management
Front panel fan controls (which I don't think the 932 has)
Front panel led
Front panel ports like USB (I'm sure ever case has these)
Dust filters(not mandatory but nice)
And maybe some cool LED's in case? :D

My friend told me to give Phantom's a look, but they seem even more platicky than the CM case. Go figure. A watched a video review of the Phantom and the guy took the side panel off and shook it and it wobbled.

With all the front panel mentions, I'm not sure you'll like this but
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811108376
Fan controllers can always be added into drivebays so don't let that narrow your case choices
Lighting and dust filters ditto
The sniper and phantom are both popular cases and have housed some great builds, but your cooling won't be affected massively until you go full tower and really plan the cooling for it, thats almost a seperate build in itself :)
Moto

NoobNeb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Corsair 600T would be another option. Personally I prefer it's style to the Phantom and there's a four channel fan controller for 10 dollars more than Storm Sniper. (Also white LEDs are way cooler than blue LEDs :p)

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010
Okay, so I got my choices for my case!

SM Storm Sniper
Corsair 600t
NZXT Phantom(still torn over white or black)
HAF X

First 2 are mid towers others are full towers. Not sure if I need a full tower for my specs but just wondering. Notice how all my choices have mesh side panels. I would of gone for the 650D as well but its already wayy expensive for a midtower and I'd have to buy a separate mesh door for it for $20 and a 200mm fan ontop of that, so no way.

Does the 600t or Haf X have dust filters? I know the other two do.

So yea if you guys can help me with my choices below, that would be much appreciated :)

apav

Distinguished
May 20, 2010

I feel like the Phantom is my best bet. Not as big and expensive as the HAF X because it doesn't have all the fancy features I don't need. I heard the quality isn't great on those cases, is that true? I mean they are plastic afterall, I hope they aren't a bad choice.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

halcyon

Splendid
Cases are such a personal choice and it'll depend on what appeals to you. That said, I can't pass up an opportunity to recommend the Corsair 500R, I love the clean lines.

Full towers are indeed nice but unless you really need it you may prefer something a little more compact over time.

mjmjpfaff

Distinguished

the 600t is a better quality case. the phantom has a lot of plastic and seems a little cheap. the 600t doesnt have that great of airflow though. the new corsair 400r or 500r are high quality cases with great airflow.