Cold Boot Problem - Case?

malifact

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
I'm hoping someone could clarify a problem I'm having. Several months ago I built the following system:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.30GHz
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 PRO
Memory: Corsair XMS4 4GB DDR3
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 285
Power Supply: Corsair TX 750W
Case: Hiper Osiris (an old one I've had for nearly three years)

Everything was fine until recently when I started to experience a cold boot problem. If the computer was switched off for several hours, when I would go to start it up the lights on the case would come on and the fan would start but after a few seconds the computer would shut down without reaching the BIOS. It would then start up by itself again immediately and boot successfully.

I checked all the connections and tried removing the various components (hard disk, graphics card etc) individually to try and identify what was causing the problem, but had no luck. Then I tried disconnected all of the case's front panel connector wires from the motherboard and powered the computer on by shorting the PWRSW connectors on the motherboard. I found that if I powered the computer on using this method the cold boot problem would not occur.

My question is does it sound likely that this is the cause of the cold boot problem. If yes then I'm happy to buy another case, as the one I have is pretty old. Otherwise I can still RMA the components.

Thank you in advance.

malifact

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009

Thanks for the reply. Is there anything else I can do to confirm if it is the motherboard? I'd prefer not to keeping shorting the power switch until I can replicate the cold boot problem, or buy another case if I'm going to have the same problem.

You have replicated your problem (sort of).

Computer in case with power switch - cold boot problem.

Computer in case without case power switch - no problem.

If he latter statement is always - not "mostly" but "always" - true, you have isolated your booting problem.

Gothams Finest

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
It is a common problem with the ASUS P8P67 motherboards, I had the same problem with mine among other problems (most of which I have ironed out) and two months after building my current computer I still occasionally get a "double boot" but its very rare, once a month maybe.

Do a little reading and you should find all the information you need to solve your problem in these links.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/913061-asus-p8p67-pro-cold-boot-issues.html

http://www.overclock.net/intel-motherboards/1012874-official-asus-p8p67-p8z68-p8z68-gen3.html

malifact

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for the responses, especially gothems finest. I had tried most of the fixes in the links above, except for disabling 'Internal PLL Over-Voltage' in the BIOS. Well, I tried that and it worked. I've had no cold boot issues for over a week now. I thought I should report back in case anyone is having a similar problem to me.