New card, what shall it be?

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I have a 6850 in my pc, I bought a new mobo for crossfire, and im not too sure if I should wait till radeons 7xxx series is released, or if I should just splurge and either get another 6850, or a 6990, my cpu is a 965 be btw, and my mobo is 890fx deluxe5

Is your 965 still at stock clocks?

What is the make/model of your psu?

I would say go with the 6850 crossfire.That is still a very good setup and will easily max out games for the next year.No point in spending money on a 6990 if your going to see 60+ FPS with a 6850 crossfire.

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

yeah 965 at stock, psu is a 750w corsair, but how long until the new 7 series comes out? I mean I dont have to much money to spend, and I would like to get one, but it depends on how long

Their shouldn't be a huge difference between the 6xxx series and 7xxx series.It's to soon since the 6xxx series release for the 7xxx series to have a huge impact.Tesselation and crossfire performance will likely be the same.Probably just faster cards.

I've heard rumors of them coming out in Aug./Sept.But i've also heard that they might release cards with Bulldozer which should release in July.

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

you know I was sitting down thinking, what a dream package it would be to have those two series combined in a deal, oh man im tellin ya, priceless, still though, im nabbing bulldozer asap, and im awefully impatient, you think just waiting till july to see more details would be better than spending 130 now?

Yah,It's always best to wait.

I bought my 6870 in December for $240 and now their selling for $180.Even the Twin Frozr's are going for $200.

I know i really want to buy a Bulldozer ASAP but I know that after a month or 2 the prices will drop and better models will come out.And I've only heard of when the processors will come out not the mobo's.You do have a AM3+ support board but no one knows exactly which processor it will support exactly.I've heard some processors need different pins so you are limited to which processors you can get.

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

wow different pins? that would be outrageous if I couldnt buy the best one because of such things, sigh, well I was going to get another 6850 but I guess it would be smarter to wait a month or so

Well as soon as i get a crossfire board i'm going to get another 6870.The 68xx series is still a new card.

I was only saying that I wouldn't buy a bulldozer as soon as it comes out.Prices will be high and not all of the models will be relased.

And yes I have heard rumors that some of the Bulldozer chips will require different votlage pins which is why they had to make a whole new socket(AM3+).Since AMD said that AM3 and AM3+ weren't going to be backwards compatible that means that possibly the current AM3+ boards(8xx series) can only support a ceratin type of processors which are still unknown.

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

so you think the 6850 cf would hold up decently in bf3? or witcher 2?

Embra

Distinguished

Ditto ... Crossfire and OC!!

You will be set for a good bit.

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
alright then! I just now ordered another 6850 but sadly its the weekend so I have to wait, ok well... I can oc my cpu to 4.1ghz "stable" but the temp rises to about 48-50 celcius, that was just after playing saints row with "everything maxed" for about 2 hours, what temp should a 965 not over exceed?

Those are pretty good temps for 4.1ghz.The max temp for the 965 is 62c.

Your probably not gonna get any higher than 4.1ghz,simply the limitaions of the 965 chip.
You are lucky tho cause you got one of the good chips that can O.C. past 4ghz.I have a 965 but i've got one of those bad chips.Can't get past 3.8ghz without an insane amount of voltage.

What type of cooler are you using and what is your CPU voltage at when at 4.1ghz?

Deathsagaxx

Distinguished
May 10, 2011

im using asetek 550lc the voltage was set to, 1.45

OMG,lol.I got a Cyberpower PC and it came with a Asetek H50 too.That cooler is total crap.Not much better than the stock cooler at load temps.Idle temps are pretty good tho.

Your temps are surprisngly low tho for having an Asetek cooling system.1.45v at 4.1ghz is really good.