Does EDGE service require a Data Connect plan or Media Net..

I have a Nokia 6230, and am trying to use it as a modem. Like many
others, I'm receiving the message, "Subscribe to GPRS first."

When signing up for my voice plan, I was told that the "MEdia Works"
plan, which includes 5mb of "Wireless Internet Express" would give me
5mb of phone-as-a-modem access. However, when talking with customer
service today I'm told that I need a "Data Connect" plan, which is twice
the price.

Has anyone here had any luck using their phone as a modem with only a
voice/MEdia Net plan?

Thanks,
John
3 answers Last reply
More about does edge service require data connect plan media

    "Johny" <johnny@bogusdomain.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Nokia 6230, and am trying to use it as a modem. Like many
    > others, I'm receiving the message, "Subscribe to GPRS first."
    >
    > When signing up for my voice plan, I was told that the "MEdia Works"
    > plan, which includes 5mb of "Wireless Internet Express" would give me
    > 5mb of phone-as-a-modem access. However, when talking with customer
    > service today I'm told that I need a "Data Connect" plan, which is twice
    > the price.
    >
    > Has anyone here had any luck using their phone as a modem with only a
    > voice/MEdia Net plan?

    I use my all the time as a modem for my notebook using Media Works
    (unlimited when I signed up for it). I cannot get EDGE speeds from it
    though, only GPRS. I know people with Data Connect and if I usetheir card, I
    can get EDGE speeds in the exact location my phone (V551) will not give me
    EDGE speed on my notebook.

    Maybe the link below will help you:

    http://navasgrp.home.att.net/tech/cingular/csd_setup.htm

    > I use my all the time as a modem for my notebook using Media Works
    > (unlimited when I signed up for it). I cannot get EDGE speeds from it
    > though, only GPRS. I know people with Data Connect and if I usetheir card, I
    > can get EDGE speeds in the exact location my phone (V551) will not give me
    > EDGE speed on my notebook.

    Hmmm, maybe I'm confusing terminology. I want to use my 6230 as a modem
    and I have a "MEdia Works" plan. I can establish the Bluetooth
    connection, but can't get connected to the 'net. I always receive the
    "Subscribe to GPRS first" message.

    Do you have any insight as to how I might get this to work. I've found
    a few settings in the newsgroups and on Cingular's site, but can't get
    it going. I called "Customer Service" and they said I needed a Data
    Connect plan. I stopped by a Cingular store today, the salesguy set up
    a Data Connect plan to test with, but I got the same results. He said
    he knows someone who's made it work, but of course is out of town. I'm
    supposed to hear back next week.

    In the mean time, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm eager to give them
    a try.

    Thanks,
    John

Cingular Connection Modem Internet Service Providers