Why is my psu buzzing?

a_tractor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi guys my computer started buzzing verry quietley but you can hear it but only just and i dont know why or where its comming from? I put new hdds in another 2,from my external hardrive so there in my computer now. So now i have 3 hdds. also it has started since i put the hdds in. it never did it befor though? My psu is a 700w coolermaster Extreme power plus thats about 2 months old? why is it buzzing? also this only happens when im gaming or using heavy load. The sound is verry verry quiet though?
like now it isnt doing it at all and my pc fans arent touching anything

Any replies will be greatley appriciated. :bounce:

a_tractor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
Hi guys my computer started buzzing verry quietley but you can hear it but only just and i dont know why or where its comming from? I put new hdds in another 2,from my external hardrive so there in my computer now. So now i have 3 hdds. also it has started since i put the hdds in. it never did it befor though? My psu is a 700w coolermaster Extreme power plus thats about 2 months old? why is it buzzing? also this only happens when im gaming or using heavy load. The sound is verry verry quiet though?
like now it isnt doing it at all and my pc fans arent touching anything

Any replies will be greatley appriciated. :bounce:

Its most likely a Capacitor in you PSU, mother board or graphics card vibrating. I Rwad this in another thread and it sounds like good advice:
"I would worry about it WHEN:
it gets louder than it originally did when using the SAME ammount of power that you had before.
If i suddenly heard it and it never made that sound before , and i had checked
If a Capacitor is bulging or the top is splitting or in any way looking defective
If when you check the Power comming out it is wrong, or dirty
If many other users report that it Fails, but do Not report that it makes noise
if this is the first time you used that much power, it might be normal but you might be pushing it too."

Reading the reviews on this PSU it deosn't sound that great and I'm thinking its the PSU. Its not 80+ certified and that right there would make me not get it. People also complain that it makes wierd sounds right before it dies. I didn't see anything that complained about buzzing but people said it made clicking noises and other wierd sounds before it compleatly went. As said check the mobo capicitors and the video card to see if it's coming from there if not I would say the PSU might be getting ready to go. At $79 it seems like a cheap PSU anyway and you would be better off spending the money on something like Seasonic or Corsair.