Sign in with
Your question

Random reboot

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 27, 2011 7:22:29 AM

Hello everyone,
As of late, I've been having trouble with spontaneous reboots that seem to occur totally @ random. Usually, it happens while playing a game: screen freezes, sound loops, and either the comp reboots by itself or I have to do a hard reboot by holding the power switch. That is for the most part, as it might also happen while the pc is idle, or even -sometimes- while booting. I thought I'd solved this a couple of months ago when the pc would absolutely refuse to boot into windows due to hard disk corruption.So I bought a new HDD, did a clean install of Win 7 (Vista was my previous OS) and the problem went away, or so it seemed. Because now I'm faced with the same exact problem. Minidumps always show the same exact faulting module "atikmdag.sys". Things i've done so far: 1)Clean installations (using driver sweeper)of all ATI drivers from 9.1 to 11.5. 2)Reseating GPU. 3)Installing only display driver from ATI and not the CCC. 4)Disabling C-state in Bios. 5)Setting Power plan to high performance. 6)Overclocking the ram voltage. 7)Prime, furmark, memtest. All passed with ease.
8)Core temp reports approx 35C idle, 58-60C while playing DDO.
I think I've narrowed it down to either the GPU ot PSU. But before going out to buy a replacement,any thoughts would be appreciated.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus P6TSE
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU: Asus EAH 4890
PSU: Chieftec 1000W Modular
2XHDD WD Velociraptor
4X External 1.5TB HDD (2XTeac, 2X Seagate)
H70 Corsair Hydroseries
WIN 7 X64 Ultimate

Thnx,

John

More about : random reboot

May 27, 2011 8:14:01 AM

iamthemdm said:
Hello everyone,
As of late, I've been having trouble with spontaneous reboots that seem to occur totally @ random. Usually, it happens while playing a game: screen freezes, sound loops, and either the comp reboots by itself or I have to do a hard reboot by holding the power switch. That is for the most part, as it might also happen while the pc is idle, or even -sometimes- while booting. I thought I'd solved this a couple of months ago when the pc would absolutely refuse to boot into windows due to hard disk corruption.So I bought a new HDD, did a clean install of Win 7 (Vista was my previous OS) and the problem went away, or so it seemed. Because now I'm faced with the same exact problem. Minidumps always show the same exact faulting module "atikmdag.sys". Things i've done so far: 1)Clean installations (using driver sweeper)of all ATI drivers from 9.1 to 11.5. 2)Reseating GPU. 3)Installing only display driver from ATI and not the CCC. 4)Disabling C-state in Bios. 5)Setting Power plan to high performance. 6)Overclocking the ram voltage. 7)Prime, furmark, memtest. All passed with ease.
8)Core temp reports approx 35C idle, 58-60C while playing DDO.
I think I've narrowed it down to either the GPU ot PSU. But before going out to buy a replacement,any thoughts would be appreciated.

Specs:
Mobo: Asus P6TSE
CPU: Intel i7 920
GPU: Asus EAH 4890
PSU: Chieftec 1000W Modular
2XHDD WD Velociraptor
4X External 1.5TB HDD (2XTeac, 2X Seagate)
H70 Corsair Hydroseries
WIN 7 X64 Ultimate

Thnx,

John

yeah gpu I had the same problem awhile back its your clock settings...error msg says it all the core and the memry clocks are not working together properly roll back your driver to 11.4 and if you have voltage controll then up that a bit...idle crash is due to low clock settings at idle find a proram to raise your idle clcks...thats what it sounds like to me . or worst case is your psu...and your card not getting enough power to hold your display at idle settings and cant support the voltage needed for gaming...your psu is more than enough unless one day you came home and smelt that hardware heat smell that we who have blown things know all too well...you can also see if there is a bios update for your board or gfx and flash those....thats some of the things to try before spending your hard earned cash man
m
l
May 27, 2011 12:17:29 PM

Symptoms match inadequate power from PSU while under heavy graphics load.

i, please do not double-post.
m
l
!