CPU heatsink & fan for AMD 3+

Status
Not open for further replies.

putts832

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I am buying a new ASUS MB and a AMD FX 6100 CPU. Being the new CPU will need a different heatsink then the one I own now. I see that the heatsinks are labeled differently and I need one for a AMD Socket AM3+. Will a AMD Socket AM3 heatsink work with a AMD 3+ MB? Again I don't think my current AMD Scoket AM2 heatsink and fan will work with the new MB.. I tried finding a heatsink for a AMD 3+ but they all lead me to a AMD 3, that's why I am wondering if the AMD 3 will work on a 3+ MB.

h3llbound

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Honustly speaking, If you have not brought the Motherboard or CPU yet, re-think your options, i would only say go with an FX processor if you already had the AM3+ motherboard. But since you have neither i would suggest saving that bit extra $30 or so and grabbing an i5, which will be way better than the FX 6100 in performance.

beenthere

Distinguished
The FX-6100 will be a nice step up from the AM2 CPUs. IMO it's also good to support AMD instead of a convicted criminal corp. like Intel who has illegally tried to eliminate consumer choice.

Yes the AMD 3 HSFs will fit the FX CPUs and the AM3+ sockets. The link below shows you how the popular HSFs compare in performance. The Hyper 212+ is a mid-range quality HSF priced around $30. The Xigmatek Aegir is a top end HSF for those looking to do serious OC'ing or if you want a really quiet system.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#AMDHEATSINK

Status
Not open for further replies.