jbm715

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
Hey yall,

I am having an issue posting now after a couple hours of use of my new computer.

Here is my build that I ordered from newegg.

So I made the mistake of not reading PERFORM THESE STEPS before posting about boot/no video problems! first.

I have corrected that mistake.

I got down to the section of unplugging everything from my motherboard except the CPU/cooler and PSU. I turned on the mobo and repeatedly heard 1 long and 2 short beeps. I looked up the asus error code and it means that no RAM was detected which was a relief. I tried booting up with one stick of RAM. It didn't work and I got no beep messages. I tried both of my sticks in all 4 of the slots and still not sound.

The page linked above said:

If you get the long beeps, add a stick of RAM. Boot. The beep pattern should change to one long and two or three short beeps. Silence indicates that the RAM is shorting out the PSU (very rare). Long single beeps indicates that the BIOS does not recognize the presence of the RAM.

My RAM is shorting out my PSU?! What do I do from here? All the fans I have installed (including the 2 on my video card) spin when I turn the computer on.

Originally, when I first installed everything, I could boot up just fine. My CPU was running a little hot (47C) at idle, so I ended up cleaning the CPU/cooler with alcohol, and reapplying the cooler to the CPU. I got my CPU to idle at 44. About 20 minutes or so after booting up after reapplying the thermal paste, the monitor went idle, and put me in my current situation.

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

macusn

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
Is your memory on the vendor list for the processor? If so maybe get your hands on another stick and try that. Is it possible that you have any dirt or dust in one of the slots causing a short? How much thermal paste did you use when you reapplied it to the processor?

No expert but something to try.

Mac