New motherboard, old Windows 7 CD

alekskg

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hey guys,

A couple of months ago, I decided to do a pretty big upgrade with my computer. In that upgrade, I incorporated a new motherboard, video card, memory, SSD, PSU and cooling. My OS installation went directly to SSD with the new motherboard, but I have been experiencing a couple of issues particularly with the lack of audio recording capability. My old OS was a copy from iBUYPOWER (the company which prebuilt my old rig), and was attached to my previous Asus board (now I have a Gigabyte). Practically 9x.xx% of my computer functionality is fine, except I cannot seem to record sound or communicate in any way (Skype, Teamspeak etc) from either a USB headset, microphone, or even if they are thru the jacks. I have gone through the sound panel, properties, Realtek HD Audi menus extensively and there is no indication that sound is physically travelling through any input device that is connected. My sound works on my headphones though, but does not pick up anything. I have disabled/reinstalled new sound drivers, updated drivers etc and so forth.

I had emailed Gigabyte about my problem but their English is terrible, although they said something about reloading drivers. I believe they might be onto something as I'm aware that custom Win7 copies are attached via motherboard. Is there a way to "detach" the OS from the old board, or "reload" the drivers for my board onto my currently installed OS? Is this just a simple line of registry, or is more involved?

In case anybody needed to know, my parts list is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Rev 1.0 Motherboard w/ updated BIOS (F6)
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T OC @ 3.85 GHz
G.Skill Ripjaws Z 1666mhz (downclocked to 11xx) 2x4 (8GB) RAM
Sapphire 7950 OC GPU
Corsair H80 Pseudo-liquid cooler
Corsair HX850W PSU
Crucial M4 64GB SSD <--- primary OS installed here
Hitachi 1TB HDD
WD 320GB HDD

OEM Windows is licensed to the board it is originally install on. It does have nothing to do with the functionality of that board or any other board, it is the hardware drivers that you install that control the functionality. A repair install of windows can clear up driver issues but then again you have to install the drivers for your new board since it has different hardware than the old. It is actually recommended to do a fresh new install of windows when changing motherboards!

alekskg

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

The SSD mentioned had no choice but to receive a fresh install :p. My original install is still on my HDD, but I never boot into it. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a plethora of sound drivers to no avail. Does a repair require a backup and does it reload the original drivers from the OEM installation, or stock Win7 driver packs etc?

alekskg

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Nope, even Windows sound recorder tells me a device isn't plugged in even when it obviously is (this is after visiting the control panel> sound and thoroughly checking through all available options to see if it is). Input devices do not report any sensitivity with the green volume bar either within the control panel. My headset works just fine with providing sound but the microphone doesn't work (for both USB and audio jack headsets). Whenever I plug in either, the recording tab in control panel > sound shows that there is a recording device available, but they don't work.