Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Rig Power Requirments

Last response: in Components
October 30, 2011 6:02:50 PM

Hello all,

First I want to say thanks for all the information on Tom's Hardware. I have used these forums more times than I can count, but this is my first time asking anything myself. Usually, I can find exactly what I need from another's question, and I have found many similar questions to mine, however I thought I'd play it safe. I apologize as I'm sure you get these all the time but since I work with servers and cisco equipment, I'm out of touch with desktop hardware these days. Here it goes.

I decided to build my first gaming rig since about 2004, and this time I've got the money to do it. In fact, I'm actually building two identical systems, one for me, one for my brother. I had everything ready with two EVGA gtx 570's in SLI with an 850W Corsair power supply. I just couldn't order it for 3 days, so I left it in my cart. Now, those 570's are out of stock, and I've used this as an excuse to move to dual EVGA gtx 580's in SLI (not overclocked and dont intend to).My wallet is not happy but I sure am ^_^. To be safe I have also increased the PSU to a corsair Professional Series 1050W.

I have read a few posts that say an 850W could run dual 580's, but I don't want to stress the PSU and lesson the life. Also, I will have 16Gb of 1600 memory, which is different from other post with say 6 - 12. ( Yes I know, extreme overkill, but for $89 why not?) I just want to get you opinion on the PSU. Should I be ok with the 1050? I went with Corsair, as many have highly recommended them, but please feel free to suggest. Everything else is pretty much in stone, but please let me know if I've made a crucial error somewhere. I will post the full build below. Thanks in advance to all!

CoolerMaster HAF 922 case
Seagate Barracuda Green 1.5Tb 5900 RPM 6.0Gb/s
OCZ Agility 3 120Gb SATA III SSD
i7 2600K
CoolerMaster V8 CPU fan
MSI P67A-GD65 MOBO
G. Skill Ripjaws Series 16Gb (4x4Gb) 1600
Dual EVGA 015-P3-1580-AR GeForce GTX 580 1.5Gb in SLI
Corsair Professional Series HX1050 1050W
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

More about : rig power requirments

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
October 30, 2011 6:24:02 PM

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
October 30, 2011 6:37:43 PM

Thanks! This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I'm one of those people who prefers to know "why" I need such and such. Thanks again mate!
Score
October 30, 2011 6:37:54 PM

Best answer selected by C0deRiff.
Score
!