Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Rebooting multiple times and BSoDs

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2012 7:08:18 PM

I recently built a Core i5 pc to upgrade from my old AM2 mobo. It is an ASRock B75M-GL with an i5-2400 and the ram is PNY Optima (2x4GB) DDR3 1333. When I boot the lights flash and the fans come on a for a few seconds, and then it restarts the process but for just a second, then half a second, then a built in boot protection kicks in and the BIOS loads up.

What could be wrong with my PC to make it do this? My old Foxconn/AMD never had this issue.

Side note: Sometimes after doing this process it lets me load Windows 7. But in Windows 7 I get BSoDs when I open certain programs. Firefox would make the PC crash, but that only happened once, the next time it was the Motioninjoy tool, then it was Alcohol 120%. So I installed those and I had more BSoDs and I reinstalled Windows 7. Up until about 2 am I had my first BSoD with the reinstalled Windows 7. So I'm trying to figure out could it be a ram problem or a mobo problem. Right now I'm running memtest86 (which is going to take a long time) and it has had 4 errors on Pass 0.

Motherboard
CPU
Ram

Update: I'm understanding how this memtest works now. I'm testing my first stick of ram in the first slot to see if it fails anything. Is it possible that my mobo is actually bad rather than my ram?

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 28, 2012 8:08:44 PM

already 4 error and the first is not finish you got ram issue did you test one stick at the time they will need rma
July 28, 2012 8:14:38 PM

Oh okay. Well that's a bummer! I'm testing one stick right now. No errors yet. Could it the second ram slot that is bad rather than my ram?
First stick of ram passed with no errors.
The second stick of ram acted up a little, had issues booting, and failed about 3 minutes into the test.
Does this mean my ram needs an RMA?

Update: I requested an RMA from Newegg about an hour ago. Thanks for the reply Scout!
m
l
Related resources
July 28, 2012 10:04:44 PM

Best answer selected by WellsMcKenzie.
m
l
April 3, 2013 2:00:24 PM

I know this is an older post however I recently had major BSOD non stop anytime I tried to play games no matter what I did it seemed to crash with my asrock motherboard, I finally found out that the pny optima ram chips listed above simply do not work in the board even though they passed memtest this is because the ram itself is not bad however the board either by default sets the settings incorrectly for the ram and/or it simply will not function with the asrock mobo, I swapped to Samsung ram and now am bsod free. Just thought I would mention in the event others have the same problems. I would also like to say others have had issue with some of the newer windows updates and have fixed similar bsod errors and tdr display driver has stopped working and recovered errors by removing KB2670838 and KB2807986 from the windows update and claim their bsod have subsided just a couple things to try before you go out and spend a ton of money on a new board or any other hardware.
m
l
April 3, 2013 11:46:54 PM

toxinburn said:
I know this is an older post however I recently had major BSOD non stop anytime I tried to play games no matter what I did it seemed to crash with my asrock motherboard, I finally found out that the pny optima ram chips listed above simply do not work in the board even though they passed memtest this is because the ram itself is not bad however the board either by default sets the settings incorrectly for the ram and/or it simply will not function with the asrock mobo, I swapped to Samsung ram and now am bsod free. Just thought I would mention in the event others have the same problems. I would also like to say others have had issue with some of the newer windows updates and have fixed similar bsod errors and tdr display driver has stopped working and recovered errors by removing KB2670838 and KB2807986 from the windows update and claim their bsod have subsided just a couple things to try before you go out and spend a ton of money on a new board or any other hardware.

Since I replaced my ram my PC has had 0 BSoDs so I would still recommend them. And if you know your ram's specs you can likely change the settings in your BIOS or UEFI to match the specs. But if you suspect the ram is the issue, it's usually the cheaper fix, thanks for posting about your own experience with the ram.
m
l
!