HD 5970 crashes when raising dram voltage?

TKperson

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hello everyone, first post but long time reader.

I seem to have encountered an unusual problem while playing with the settings of my ram. I have been using the Corsair 3 x 2GB TR3X6G1600C8D set for about seven months and have had no problems with them. I do know that the recommended settings for the ram look like this: 8-8-8-24 with 1.65v at 1600. The thing is, I can set the ram frequency up to 1600, the timings to the suggested values, and the uncore to 3200 no problem. But when I adjust the ram voltage up to the 1.65v I start having a strange issue with my video card. The problem can happen seemingly whenever, it can be right after post or it can be when opening a 3d application.

To elaborate a little more on what actually happens the screen will go black as if nothing is plugged into the monitor and the speed of the 5970's fan will jump up to 100% from wherever it was. It does not recover from this like it would from the "driver has stopped responding" problem I have seen very rarely since vista/win7 with other cards either.

After 5 hours of Memtest86 I believe I am fairly certain that the ram is not damaged which only confuses me further. The GPU does not have any heating problems to speak of and the power running to it should be more than sufficient. Any help with this would be very appreciated.

System specs
PSU: Kingwin ABT-1000MA1S
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E
CPU: i7 980x @ stock specs
Video: Sapphire 2gb HD5970
RAM: 6GB of TR3X6G1600C8D in triple channel (currently at 1333 / 9-9-9-24 / 1.5v)
Storage: 3x 1TB drives (2 set to raid 1, 1 as backup)
Case: Thermaltake Xaser 3 + a lot of fans

wiinippongamer

Distinguished
Try moving them to the slots further away from the cpu, I've had similar prolems with corsair RAM on a AM3 rig, it'd be 100% stable at 133 on the first two slots, but 1600 would crash randomly, moved it to the other 2 slots and now it's as advertised with no errors.

TKperson

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

I'm afraid that isn't an option since doing that causes the ram to either drop out of triple channel, or not be recognized at all.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
maybe your board does not handle triple channel that well, do you have any ram to run duel channel and try from there? That way you can see weather or not you might have a mobo problem or just simply run your ram at stock? for what reason do you want to overvolt your triple channel?

TKperson

Distinguished
May 27, 2011

From what I've gathered reading other threads on here the motherboard I have is pretty good and should have no trouble handling triple channel. The ram I am currently using can be run in triple, dual, or single channel no problem but in doing that I would lose capacity as well. The reason for wanting to "overvolt" the ram to 1.65v is because corsair has that listed as the recommended voltage for the 1600 frequency for best stability. The ram can be run at 1600/8-8-8-24 at the stock voltage, but I don't know if that's good for long-term health/stability of the ram.

viper_69

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
yeah ram is kinda tricky Im not an expert on this but I wanted to try to see if I could help....I do know that tightening and overvolting your ram will shorten the life span but I think thats well within specs for volts for that ram...you might find that loosenig your timings might help or lowering the frequency and put more load on you cpu and you might find that you get some good scores with mem test