Sign in with
Your question

Blown PSU whilst playing BF3

Last response: in Components
October 31, 2011 1:42:22 AM

Morning all

Monday already and I'm not a happy bunny.

To put it short... spent the weekend upgrading a gaming pc.

Specs as follows:
Coolermaster 330 case
Powercool 750w PSU
2 x GTX 460 gigabyte OC edition
i7-2600 CPU - Stock speed
Corsair H50 water cooler
Asus P8-P67 Pro Motherboard
16GB Geil 1600Mhz Ram (running at 1333 4x4GB)
4 Hard Drives (Sata, nothing fancy)
Soundblaster PCI Card.

On idle I get CPU temps of 26-30c, which is fine.
Under load (Stress test) it peaks at about 55.

Graphic cards - idle at 35, peak out at 60
These temps are after playing black ops all day sunday
without issue, and running Prime95 for 10 hours on Saturday.

Anyway, picked up my copy of Battlefield 3, and was playing
it for about 4 hours, when the machine suddenly turned off,
asif it were a power cut.
Turned off the PSU, left it a few minutes and turned it back
on again, and poof.. a bit of flame from the rear of the PSU
and some smoke!

Naturally I unplugged the thing, and removed the PSU from the
PC.

Now checking with PSU calculators I should only be drawing
about 500w max, so a 750 should cut it. It's only a few days
old so can be RMA'd, however, my worry is this.

What if the PSU has fried/killed the motherboard/cpu/ram etc
Can I hold the retailer responsible, the manufacturer etc?

Basically, I've just shelled out £500+ on this upgrade, and
if it's gone down the pan, heads will roll!

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.... :( 
a c 700 ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 1:56:05 AM

Just one more example of do not skimp on PSU's a generic 750watt PSU can be worse than a quality 500+watt PSU. You can not hold anybody responsible but if other components got damaged you have a chance of RMA them to their manufacturers.
Has amp ratings on the +12 volts that are less than a quality 500watt http://www.ebuyer.com/160350-powercool-750w-80plus-cert...
Get a quality unit from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic Enermax or XFX to name few!
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 2:25:46 AM

As the forum PSU power calculation Utility at the link below shows, both wattage and 12v rail amps. must be sufficient for the load - as rollie59 has indicated. Your other hardware should be fine as the mobo and Vid card have their own voltage control and take the power from the PSU and regulate it accordingly.

The only means to tell if a PSU is a quality built unit is from objective, scientific testing and physical inspection of the internal components as sites like Toms, www.jonnyguru.co, www.hardwaresecrets.com, Anandtech and some others do. Make sure to read reviews for the EXACT model PSU you are interested in as some companies use multiple PSU maufacturers and designs so the quality can vary for different PSU models in the same line or brand.

If you want to objectively, accurately and scientifically determine what PSU power is required for your Vid card and PC in both watts and 12v rail amps., the forum Utility link below will show you how easy it is to calculate this information and objectively determine which PSUs are quality built, reliable PSUs that can meet your needs. Be advised that the available 12v rail amps. is just as important as the total PSU wattage. You need both to be correct.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/314712-28-please-read...
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 2:33:31 AM

In addition to total capacity and 12 volt ratings, you need to consider the overall quality of the PSU. Your PSU is not the best PSU in the world,

Could your PSU have fried your n=motherboard? Possible, but not likely.
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 2:36:43 AM

rolli59 said:
Just one more example of do not skimp on PSU's a generic 750watt PSU can be worse than a quality 500+watt PSU. You can not hold anybody responsible but if other components got damaged you have a chance of RMA them to their manufacturers.
Has amp ratings on the +12 volts that are less than a quality 500watt http://www.ebuyer.com/160350-powercool-750w-80plus-cert...
Get a quality unit from Corsair, Antec, Seasonic Enermax or XFX to name few!

+1
Never go cheap on PSUs, they could fry out all your system. A 750W garbage PSU can deliver up to 450-500W which will push your PSU to the limits, heat up some coils and capacitors...then you're all in fire.
a quality 650W PSu will run your system just fine without any problem
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 31, 2011 6:47:43 AM

beenthere said:
As the forum PSU power calculation Utility at the link below shows, both wattage and 12v rail amps. must be sufficient for the load - as rollie59 has indicated. Your other hardware should be fine as the mobo and Vid card have their own voltage control and take the power from the PSU and regulate it accordingly...

I figured I'd post my question in here rather than start a a whole new thread. I did the calculations you outlined in your guide and came up with ~47A that I'd need for my setup. That's with the minimum 5A safety margin. Now I've found a PSU at 630W (more than enough) and 48A. Do you think that's too close for comfort or will it do? Also, I've noticed on some PSUs with multiple +12V rails that they have readings such as "+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A." I'm not quite sure how to interpret these readings as opposed to "+12V@48A", for example, on single rail PSUs. Could you help me out on this?
October 31, 2011 7:41:02 AM

i really hate the brand PowerCool. Nothing Cool about it. Gives so much "Power" It Fries it.

Rename the brand to PowerFryYoPSU.
a b ) Power supply
October 31, 2011 7:54:03 AM

Dennycrumbubble said:
I figured I'd post my question in here rather than start a a whole new thread. I did the calculations you outlined in your guide and came up with ~47A that I'd need for my setup. That's with the minimum 5A safety margin. Now I've found a PSU at 630W (more than enough) and 48A. Do you think that's too close for comfort or will it do? Also, I've noticed on some PSUs with multiple +12V rails that they have readings such as "+3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A." I'm not quite sure how to interpret these readings as opposed to "+12V@48A", for example, on single rail PSUs. Could you help me out on this?

Often they'll have a total 12V wattage as well as the 12V amperage per rail. Take the total 12V wattage, divide by 12 and you'll get the total 12V amps, it will be less than the sum of the 12V amps for each rail. Better PSU's will be closer, worse will be further. If they do not list a total 12V wattage, ask yourself why and step away from the PSU.

November 1, 2011 7:17:44 AM

Many thanks for all your comments. Supplier is changing the psu for another brand.. up to me which one, so I'm thinking a Corsair 850 will surfice.. It puts out nearly 60 amps on the 12v rail and has 4 pcie connectors for the gfx cards.

I realise I should have gone for a branded PSU, just looking forward to getting back to BF3!

Thanks again all.
November 1, 2011 9:52:24 PM

OK. Went for a Coolermaster Silent Pro 1kw with 81W on the 12v rail.. Should be sufficient.. and it supports triple SLI for future upgrades.. very pleased.. just waiting for it to arrive and get back to the gaming.

Thanks again all.
a b ) Power supply
November 1, 2011 9:56:13 PM

Silent Pro series are ones of the bests, good job.
a c 700 ) Power supply
November 1, 2011 9:56:19 PM

Definitely big enough!!!!
a b ) Power supply
November 1, 2011 10:04:17 PM

rolli59 said:
Definitely big enough!!!!

If you haven't purchased yet, Rolli59 is true
850W PSU can drive 2 GTX 580s Unless you plan to do a 3-way GTX 580
November 2, 2011 12:29:11 AM

Already purchased.. delivery Wednesday (Today)

I did think about an 850, but at average of 85% efficiency only equates to 722 watts..., with the rest as heat.
My systems needs about 650 watts on full load, and I'd rather have more head room to not worry.

Going for a 1000w psu, efficiency is approx. 850 watts, which is more than enough to run what I have for now.

Yeah, I'm hoping to add a 240 in the mix for Physx, and eventually go to a 3-way SLI with maybe 580s when their prices lower (and I've saved more!).

Also with a 5 year warranty, I don't have to worry about the PSU for a while.

Just a shame I'm working until the weekend, I won't have time to install and play BF3,,, gah!

S :pfff: 
November 2, 2011 7:16:20 PM

Ah, understand the efficiency bit now...... well.. 1kw is nice to have anyway!

All in and running now.. tonnes cooler and quieter.. Funny thing was that when I connected it all up, the damn thing didn't work. Started to panic, then tested the psu on another motherboard and it still didn't work. Suddenly dawned on me that the power cable could have blown. Swapped that over and all working fine!

Currently stuck in a few bits on BF3 but it's running like a dream.. wish I'd bought this PSU before.

Happy gamer.. thanks all!
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2011 7:18:33 PM

Enjoy Xmas with SLI gaming power :) 
a c 700 ) Power supply
November 3, 2011 9:51:55 PM

Schui1024 said:
Ah, understand the efficiency bit now...... well.. 1kw is nice to have anyway!

All in and running now.. tonnes cooler and quieter.. Funny thing was that when I connected it all up, the damn thing didn't work. Started to panic, then tested the psu on another motherboard and it still didn't work. Suddenly dawned on me that the power cable could have blown. Swapped that over and all working fine!

Currently stuck in a few bits on BF3 but it's running like a dream.. wish I'd bought this PSU before.

Happy gamer.. thanks all!

At least you are ready for that 2 x GTX580 upgrade when time comes!
!