Did 3 sticks of ram break at once?

G

Hi guys

I'm trying to get this pc up and running after it died a couple of days ago.

The problem was that the screen froze, then I turned the pc off at the plug. When turning it back on the power light came on, but it wouldn't recognise a signal to the monitor.

I have taken out ram sticks and put them in independantly in the first slot. It has worked with one of the ram sticks, and not with two of the others (I know, I probably should have tried the last one as well, but I haven't yet)

Is it possible that three sticks of ram would have died in one go, and if so what could have caused this?

My setup is fairly old now... oh how I remember the good old days when this thing blew the world away!!!!

Core 2 Due e6600 processor
originally 4 1gig sticks of ddr2 800 ram, two different matches
Asus p5w dh deluxe motherboard
EVGA factory overclocked 8800gts gpu
450 watt powersupply (good quality, I forget the exact one!)

Any help at all would be much appreciated. I need to get this thing back on to 4gig of ram but I'd rather not waste money on it if I don't have to!

Cheers for any help

G

okay.... this morning I tried all the ram sticks in the first slot again and they all seemed to work... so I slotted them all back in and suddenly everything is fine again. I'd rather avoid it all falling apart again though so any ideas as to what is going on would still be greatly appreciated!