Sign in with
Your question

ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme PCIe Clearance?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 28, 2012 11:26:43 PM

Hello all,

I have ordered a ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme to replace my current P8Z77-V Deluxe motherboard.

I have an ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP, and its a very big card as your probably aware!

I am wanting to put another in to have them in SLi, but due to the size of the card I am unsure if I can get the second card in the second PCIe slot.

Now I know I can put the card in a lower slot but I personally don't think that this is ideal as I would like both cards to run at x16. Yes I have read that there isn't much difference between x8 and x16 but every little seems to help and i not sure how the mobo will react to having the second PCIe slot empty but a card present in the 3rd red PCIe slot.

But I think my main problem if they will fit in the top two slots is going to be keeping them cool, especially if it is a very tight fit.

What are your thoughts?

Specs of the PC if you should need them are as follows.

Coolermaster HAF X
Will be a ASUS ROG Maximus V Extreme motherboard
Intel i7 3770k - OC to 4.8Ghz
Corsair H100 Cooler with 4 x Noctua NF-P12 Vortex 120mm Fans in Push/Pull Config
Corsair Dominator GT DHX+ DDR3 2133MHz
Corsair CMXAF2 Memory Cooler
1 x ASUS GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP, but soon two of them.
Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU
2 x OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD
1 x Seagate 3TB Barracuda SATA-III

Cheers :) 

a b V Motherboard
July 29, 2012 7:50:13 AM

the Maximus V was designed to run 2 tri slot cards in SLI, and i doubt there will be a reasonable difference to be concerned about over running 16x 8x
July 30, 2012 1:12:12 PM

nna2 said:
the Maximus V was designed to run 2 tri slot cards in SLI, and i doubt there will be a reasonable difference to be concerned about over running 16x 8x

I hear what your saying about x16 vs x8.

But I am still uncertain if the two cards will fit in the two top slots.

Oh, well, it will be here tomorrow so I will know for sure then!

Cheers :) 
Related resources
July 30, 2012 8:28:18 PM

nna2 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtOuFCyLFFQ&feature=g-us... if you skip to 6:50 it shows 2 ports inbetween the PCI-E 16x/8x slots :) 

Thanks for the video. I checked it out and it seems that the Extreme version of the board is different to that.

But after doing further research it seems that I am likely to go down the water cooling route for this as EK are making a waterblock specifically for the Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II cards. So I think this is the route for me.

I just hope that EK decide to develop a full waterblock for the mobo!!
a b V Motherboard
July 30, 2012 8:43:24 PM

lets hope, otherwize passive cooled VRM it is lol

if you do end up watercooling i wish you best of luck with your loop :) 
August 19, 2012 4:17:17 PM

I also have the Asus Maximus V Extreme, and have no problem with 2 EVGA GTX 690's in SLI.

The reason is because the directions for two cards in SLI on this board are that the first card is to go into slot one (the red slot nearest the CPU), and the second card is to go into slot 2b (the black slot in between the 2nd and 3rd red slots).

The distance between these two slots is ~61mm or 2.4 inches.

As to whether other slots can be used, that maybe, but if the manual is followed, then each of these two slots will run "natively" at X8 PCIe 3.0, which is the same as X16 PCIe 2.0. Natively refers to the signls going straight to the CPU and not using the PLX chip.
!