bigdaddycoop

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Hey, I got a question. I am thinking of upgrading my videocard from gtx 450 to gtx 570. My current cpu is i7 950 3.07 ghz, if i were to upgrade to 570 will that bottleneck my cpu?
Current build is
i7 950
6 gb RAM
Win 7
gtx 450 (upgrading to 570)
psu 550W (upgrading to 700W)
Asus Rampage 3 Formula

bigdaddycoop

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
i usually game at 1600X1200 althought i wouldnt mind going to 1900 but nothing more then that.
The thing is i just got witcher 2 and my video card can barely make it run at ultra. I have to have everything on lower. I also cant play gta IV on high, have everything on lower setting. So im guessing its my video card. Im so sick of all the lagging and sluggish gameplay.

A 570 would work well, but GTA4 is known to hold you back due to CPU power, but that's just a console port.

The Witcher 2 also brings most comps to their knees at the default Ultra setting. Turn off UberSampling, and see if it still has problems.

bigdaddycoop

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
wow thanks for the replies guys. I have turned off ubersampling and the SAO or whatever thats called. IT helped but not too much.
So basically 570 or 6950....if i have a 1.5 vram compared to 2 gb would that really make a difference? Also power consumptions, is 570 going to bring bigger electic bills then a 6950?

1.5gb vs 2gb won't usually matter. In fact, it almost never will matter for today. There are some rare exceptions however. In a year or 2 it might start to matter at the top end settings.

As far as electric bills go, it's not likely going to make much of a difference.

Just be sure to be rma ready as there have been quite a few that have been unlucky with these card blowing their power vrm. They didn't apply the thermal pads right and for some were not thick enough for proper contact. Non reference cards from Asus and a few others except for palit have not had this issue. Reference cards do have an advantage as far as air flow is concerned that being heat outside the case rather than dumped in and recirculated. If EVGA don't get the short one that looks like a 560 but the normal is better over all. If thermal pad issue is of concern you can purchase some thicker pads and replace what is there or some very thin pads and apply them with what is already there. The more pressure there on the mostfets there in the power vrm phases the better the thermals will be and less the chance of problems.

Overclocking with these cards is a breeze. 820-900mhz on the core with a small bump on the volts.

They all look the same, can't miss them really.

gtx-570.jpg

GTX570-5w.jpg

They really do stand out like the gtx 580 when compared to older cards.