Sign in with
Your question

I7 2600k odd temp spikes

Last response: in CPUs
October 31, 2011 3:06:33 AM

Hi all,

I am a noob and first time poster to Tom's but have lurked for awhile. I just completed my first ever build on my own and am experiencing some odd temperature spikes after the computer has run flawless for about a month. Today, I had Real Temp alarms go off showing a cpu core temp of 90+C. I immediately came over to the computer to see what was going on and realized the only real process running was a bitdefender virus scan. I went ahead and shut the computer down and restarted entering the bios where Asus AI suite showed approximately 60C. I went ahead and restarted the computer and ran another bitdefender scan while Real Temp was running and sure enough, my temps spiked immediately to 70-80C. Other than that everything else has been fine. One other thing to note however is about a week after the build I noticed the bios temps were 10-15 degrees off of Real Temp or Core Temp (tried both) readings. Not sure if this is a bad mobo or something else is going on? I did check the cpu fan to make sure its properly in place and it appears to be. Any one experienced this problem or have any idea why I would get these temp spikes running a virus scan?

System is as follows:
Intel i7 2600k (Not overclocked yet) - Stock CPU fan
Asus P8P67 EVO Rev 3
Cooler Master GX750 PSU
Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) 1600mhz Memory
EVGA GT 430 Video Card

Thanks in advance for any help!

More about : 2600k odd temp spikes

a c 894 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 3:15:42 AM

You sure the fan is properly attached all the push pins in correctly?
m
l
October 31, 2011 9:30:45 PM

oops, I replied via iphone last night but it obviously didn't work. I checked the heat sink but short of pulling the mobo out to see if its on right all pins appear to be snug. If was a loose heat sink wouldn't the temp spike all the time, no matter what load the cpu is under?
m
l
Related resources
a c 894 à CPUs
October 31, 2011 10:14:20 PM

It just sounds like cooler issues to eliminate that reapplying thermal paste and reseating it would be a good idea. Your idle temps are high as well so if new paste and reseating does not work you are up for RMA to Intel.
m
l
October 31, 2011 10:35:32 PM

I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it goes.
m
l
November 1, 2011 1:02:18 PM

i had the exact same temps...

1. flash an updated bios,

2. get a aftermarket cpu cooler since those temps are the same i had whit the stock cooler... now 30C idle, 65-75C load(12h linpack) @ 5 GHz, 1.395v (hydro 100 )
m
l
November 1, 2011 5:08:38 PM

Ok, I pulled the heat sink off and reapplied thermal compound and now appear to be idle around 30-40C so it may have been a loose pin but I still have the same problem when running bitdefender virus scan which puts me back in the 70-90C range almost immediately.

One question I do have that might be a cause of the problem is for those with an Asus P8P67 mobo with the AI Overclock tuner. I have never overclocked the processor but I was told by the memory manufacturer to take full advantage of the memory I needed to run in X.M.P mode. Does that mean I am overclocked or is there more to it. I am now thinking that might be part of the problem?
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
November 1, 2011 6:09:41 PM

Did you press the auto overclock button or play with the auto overclock in the Bios settings? If so then your trying to run an over clocked CPU on a stock heatsink/fan and that will cause heat problems. If you didn't mess with the auto overclock then I would do ad Rolli said and RMA it back to Intel.
m
l
November 1, 2011 7:52:40 PM

It appears that setting it in X.M.P mode as I mentioned earlier was actually overclocking the processor. Once I changed it back to auto and ran bitdefender again it spiked to a high of 70C which still seems high to me. I may try to rma the processor anyway.

I don't understand why intel supplies a heatsink that won't cool the cpu enough on 2600k which is meant to be overclocked. Then if you use an aftermarket heatsink you can void the warranty. Doesn't make sense.
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
November 1, 2011 8:50:30 PM

Did you try wiping the old thermal paste off and reapplying again?
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:16:13 AM

rds1220 said:
Did you try wiping the old thermal paste off and reapplying again?
yes i reapplied new paste.
m
l
!