Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Weird sound... hard drive?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 12:08:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot like
the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and er...
"plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use (i.e. when
I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when the machine is
sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control or turning the
speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that rules out any system
sound.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the harddrive?
There is usually a brief flurry of the usual HD sounds when the "plunky
ding" occurs. Anyone ever experience anything like this?

The drive is a Seagate Momentus ST960821A and I've ran a full diagnostic
with SeaTools and not uncovered anything.


higgy.

More about : weird sound hard drive

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 5:40:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

higgy wrote:
> I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot
like
> the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and er...

Sounds kinda like the clacking I experienced from my dearly departed HD.
Compaq finally believed me that something was wrong AFTER I lost
EVERYTHING. If you can still do it BACK-UP and don't keep anything
important on the drive - pen drives are cheap!
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 5:49:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

>I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot like
> the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and er...
> "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use (i.e. when
> I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when the machine is
> sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control or turning the
> speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that rules out any
> system
> sound.
>
> The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the harddrive?
> There is usually a brief flurry of the usual HD sounds when the "plunky
> ding" occurs. Anyone ever experience anything like this?
>
> The drive is a Seagate Momentus ST960821A and I've ran a full diagnostic
> with SeaTools and not uncovered anything.

Well usually that kind of sounds are extremely unhealthy if it's a harddrive
causing them... I'm pretty convinced that SeaTools would have discovered the
error if there were any as I have used it to diagnose a couple of harddrives
with weird defects.

I'd install a SMART monitor if I were you (If it's supported that is) and
keep an eye on it :-)

/Morten
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 5:49:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Morten Lundstrøm" wrote:

>>I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot
>>like
>> the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and
>> er... "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use
>> (i.e. when I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when
>> the machine is sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control
>> or turning the speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that
>> rules out any system
>> sound.
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the
>> harddrive? There is usually a brief flurry of the usual HD sounds
>> when the "plunky ding" occurs. Anyone ever experience anything like
>> this?
>>
>> The drive is a Seagate Momentus ST960821A and I've ran a full
>> diagnostic with SeaTools and not uncovered anything.
>
> Well usually that kind of sounds are extremely unhealthy if it's a
> harddrive causing them... I'm pretty convinced that SeaTools would
> have discovered the error if there were any as I have used it to
> diagnose a couple of harddrives with weird defects.
>
> I'd install a SMART monitor if I were you (If it's supported that is)
> and keep an eye on it :-)

I've got speedfan installed which gives smart info - not reporting any
problems as of yet.

I almost wish it would fall over and die - I don't fancy go back to the
vendor and saying "erm... it's making this odd ding"! A dead HD would be
more convincing.


higgy.
July 28, 2005 7:14:24 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:
: I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot like
: the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and er...
: "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use (i.e. when
: I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when the machine is
: sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control or turning the
: speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that rules out any system
: sound.

: The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the
: harddrive?

You haven't been clear whether this is a brand new laptop and you
aren't used to the sound or this is an older laptop and the hard drive
just started making the noise?

If the noise is new, it sounds like the hard drive is on the way out.
Back up your data IMMEDIATELY!!! I use Acronis True Image (which is
like Symantec's Ghost) to backup my drive, and I used it this month
when my laptop hard drive started to die and I had to replace the
drive.

If you are simply not used to this noise on a new laptop, it could be
normal. It's hard to know what you mean about the noise. But if it
is unusually loud and still under warranty, get a replacement computer
or drive.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 7:39:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Andrew wrote:

> In comp.sys.laptops higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:
>: I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot
>: like the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted
>: and er... "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in
>: use (i.e. when I'm web browsing or running an application, but not
>: when the machine is sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume
>: control or turning the speakers off. It's even happened in the bios -
>: so that rules out any system sound.
>
>: The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the
>: harddrive?
>
> You haven't been clear whether this is a brand new laptop and you
> aren't used to the sound or this is an older laptop and the hard drive
> just started making the noise?
>
> If the noise is new, it sounds like the hard drive is on the way out.
> Back up your data IMMEDIATELY!!! I use Acronis True Image (which is
> like Symantec's Ghost) to backup my drive, and I used it this month
> when my laptop hard drive started to die and I had to replace the
> drive.
>
> If you are simply not used to this noise on a new laptop, it could be
> normal. It's hard to know what you mean about the noise. But if it
> is unusually loud and still under warranty, get a replacement computer
> or drive.

You're right I haven't been too clear - it's a brand new laptop (delivered
on Tuesday) and I'm not used to using one, so maybe I'm being paranoid. The
noise is hard to describe, but close enough to what Windows sound scheme
describes as "Windows XP Ding", that it tends to jog my attention whenever
it occurs (because that's the sound used when an action provokes a
complaint from Windows). It is, however, more muted than an actual system
sound and neither lowering the volume or entirely disabling the onboard
AC'97 sound stop it, so I began looking to other causes. I suspected the
drive because the sound seemed to occur during HD access, but then that
could be just a coincidence.

It also occured to me that, perhaps, the wireless device had it's own alarm
- it does insist on flashing an orange light when it can't connect, so I
assumed an irritating sound wasn't beyond it's designer. ;-) However,
disabling it didn't have any impact, so that theory is out.

I haven't got anything important on the system, as I'm just getting used to
it - installing apps etc. At this stage, I'm really just looking to be sure
of what's wrong (if anything) before I take it up with the vendor.


higgy.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 28, 2005 7:41:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

higgy wrote:

> "Morten Lundstrøm" wrote:
>
>>>I keep hearing a sort of "ding" from my new Acer 3022WLMi (it's a lot
>>>like
>>> the "Default Beep" in the windows sound scheme, but more muted and
>>> er... "plunky"). It seems to only happen when the machine is in use
>>> (i.e. when I'm web browsing or running an application, but not when
>>> the machine is sitting idle. It isn't affected by the volume control
>>> or turning the speakers off. It's even happened in the bios - so that
>>> rules out any system
>>> sound.
>>>
>>> The only thing I can think of is maybe it's coming from the
>>> harddrive? There is usually a brief flurry of the usual HD sounds
>>> when the "plunky ding" occurs. Anyone ever experience anything like
>>> this?
>>>
>>> The drive is a Seagate Momentus ST960821A and I've ran a full
>>> diagnostic with SeaTools and not uncovered anything.
>>
>> Well usually that kind of sounds are extremely unhealthy if it's a
>> harddrive causing them... I'm pretty convinced that SeaTools would
>> have discovered the error if there were any as I have used it to
>> diagnose a couple of harddrives with weird defects.
>>
>> I'd install a SMART monitor if I were you (If it's supported that is)
>> and keep an eye on it :-)
>
> I've got speedfan installed which gives smart info - not reporting any
> problems as of yet.
>
> I almost wish it would fall over and die - I don't fancy go back to the
> vendor and saying "erm... it's making this odd ding"! A dead HD would be
> more convincing.

First thing to do is back up your hard-drive and make a copy whenever you
create a new file. Your hard-drive is not in a healthy state so don't let
it infect you and ruin your day.

If the hard-drive is not an expensive high capacity device, then consider
upgrading. Clunking noises are often the beginning of the end, and if not
the end, they will take away your time and perhaps a few heart beats when
the computer refuses to boot up.

I have lost 2 hard-drives with my current Presario laptop and I currently
use the third. Clunking was often the only signal which I needed to prevent
data loss. In the first incident, back in 2001, I had to back-up from DOS,
which was unpleasant, incomplete and very time-consuming. I now mirror my
hard-drive twice a week, check data integrity, and visually confirm the
differences between newer and older mirrors. My past experiences have made
me paranoid.

Roy

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
http://Schestowitz.com
July 29, 2005 2:13:16 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,uk.comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In comp.sys.laptops higgy <higgyslacker@hotmail.com> wrote:
: You're right I haven't been too clear - it's a brand new laptop (delivered
: on Tuesday) and I'm not used to using one, so maybe I'm being paranoid. The
: noise is hard to describe, but close enough to what Windows sound scheme
: describes as "Windows XP Ding", that it tends to jog my attention whenever
: it occurs (because that's the sound used when an action provokes a
: complaint from Windows). It is, however, more muted than an actual system
: sound and neither lowering the volume or entirely disabling the onboard
: AC'97 sound stop it, so I began looking to other causes. I suspected the
: drive because the sound seemed to occur during HD access, but then that
: could be just a coincidence.

When I first got my current laptop, I had to get used to the hard
drive "clicking" whenever it was accessed. It was not extremely loud,
but the laptop is otherwise quiet when the fan isn't on, so I could
hear it clearly. When the hard drive died a couple of weeks ago (I
think the clicking had nothing to do with it - normal sound), I
replaced it with a drive that happens not to click when accessed - but
when it's idle, it is actually louder than the old one at idle; I can
hear the new one quietly humming. Most computers aren't quiet, so I
think it's a matter of getting used to the sound of a new one.

But if the sound you are hearing is really irritating, you should
probably exchange it for a new one - could indeed be a real problem.

Andrew
--
----> Portland, Oregon, USA <----
*******************************************************************
----> http://www.bizave.com <---- Photo Albums and Portland Info
----> To Email me remove "MYSHOES" from email address
*******************************************************************
!