Can I use both HDMI and DVI at the same time with my GTX 560 Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
I have a Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti SOC. Here is what I want to do:

1. Use the mini-hdmi output for audio, and run that into my stereo receiver.

2. Use one of the DVI outputs for video, and run that directly into my monitor.

Currently, I've been just using HDMI, to try to do both. However, here is where I run into problems. If I run the hdmi output (from the video card) into my receiver, (to be able to get the audio), and then run the receivers hdmi output to my monitor, then my Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti sees my receiver as the monitor, instead of the actual monitor that I'm using. When I go to my desktop, and right click on the screen and select "Select Resolution", then it says that my monitor is a Marantz SR7001. (this is actually my audio receiver). Also, the max resolution that it's allowing me to use is 1440 x 900 for some reason. So, I can go into the custom resolution thing and set it to 1920 x 1080p @ 59Hz (why it's 59Hz instead of 60Hz, I have no idea) but it just seems kinda crappy.

So, what I would prefer to do, is just use the mini hdmi output on the back of the Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti to send audio to my receiver, but then use one of the DVI plugs for the actual video. This way I get my 5.1 or 7.1 audio, but at the same time, I'm getting video to the monitor without having to go thru the receiver, and have the receiver screw everything up. Well, actually so that the video card knows what my actual monitor is, instead of thinking my receiver is the monitor.

I know that this probably sounds really convoluted, but this is a serious issue for me right now. If I go thru my receiver, I can get everything to work, but it just doesn't look as good as if I connect my monitor directly without going thru the receiver. But then, if I connect my monitor directly, I'm not going to get the 5.1 or 7.1 High Def sound.

So basically, I'm stuck like Chuck. I've tried connecting both of them at the same time, to see if I can just get the audio from the HDMI, and the video from the DVI, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure if there is some setting I need to change to make it work correctly.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Well, here is how it works.

1. On the output of my video card there are 3 outputs. Dual DVI's and one mini-hdmi.

2. I have a mini-hdmi cable (on one end, regular hdmi on the other), that is plugged into the GPU's mini hdmi output, and then it is plugged into one of the hdmi inputs on my receiver. (this is how I'm able to get the High Def sound).

3. On the back of the receiver, is a hdmi output, and this output goes to your TV, Projector or monitor. In my case, the output is going to my computer monitor.

Now, when I do this, my problem is that the computer is seeing the Marantz SR7100 audio receiver that I'm using, but it's not seeing my LG IPS226v monitor. So, when I go to the desktop and just right click on the screen to go to "Screen Resolution", it's recommending that I use 1280 x 720, but it's also giving me an option of going up to 1440 x 900.

My LG IPS226v monitor is a 1920 x 1080p monitor, so obviously, I want to use 1920 x 1080p.

So, I have to go into the Nvidia control panel, and force a 1080p resolution. (Which happens to be 59Hz instead of 60Hz for some reason).

Now, the thing is, I can get everything to work this way, and in some games everything is working perfectly. However, in some games, it won't allow me to select a resolution beyond 1440 x 900. For example, I have a demo for Bulletstorm. If I connect my LG IPS226v directly to my GPU (where the PC can see my LG IPS226v), I can select the 1080p resolution for Bulletstorm no problem. But if I do what I was doing before, by running the HDMI to my receiver, then I'm unable to select the 1080p resolution for Bulletstorm. The scenario is the same for a few other games that I have.

The weird thing is, that I have Assassin's Creed Directors Cut (the first game), and the Just Cause 2 demo, and both work absolutely fine in 1080p when I'm running the hdmi directly to my receiver, and then to the monitor, but then a bunch of other games won't allow me to select a resolution higher than 1440 x 900.

On a side note, my previous monitor was 1440 x 900, so that might have something do with why it's limiting me to 1440 x 900. I guess I'm just going to have to keep messing around with this till I figure out a solution.

Why not just use an optical sound output? It's the same as HDMI for sound. Most motherboards can handle it, I believe. Anyway, unless you have absolutely fantastic speakers AND sound files/output data, the format shouldn't matter, and you might as well use a normal sound wire.

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
Kajabala is right about the sound quality. You may even get superior audio from the optical sound output.

But you should be able to run two monitors off your GPU card. Perhaps you can toy with your monitor setup (in the Nvidia software) to show two monitors.

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I did use optical for awhile. For some reason, I only got two channel sound though. No 5.1 or 7.1

I'll try screwing with it again tonite.

Ok so I just tryed my HDMI again to listen to music.I'll walk you thru the steps i did to make it work for me,it might work for you.

So I have my HDMI cable plugged into my reciver and my DVI to my monitor.I was somewhat upset because i wasn't able to play sound thru both the reciver and my computer speakers(It;s the first time i've tryed).

Anyway, whenever i have the HDMI plugged into my GPU(for movies or just for listening to music) I "right click" on the "speaker" in the bottom right corner of the desktop and then, from the pop up menu,i select "playback devices" then i set the "HDMI output to defualt" and wala,i have sound thru my reciver from my GPU's HDMI.

Have you tryed that way yet? I relaize you also have a problem with the resoultion once you plug the HDMI into your reciver but have you gotten sound yet?

LarryJones1

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Thanks a million man. This is exactly what I needed to do. I tried using a regular DVI cable (instead of using the DVI to hdmi adapter that I was using) to the monitor. Then I still used the old HDMI cable that was going to the receiver. Bingo Bango. DVI picture quality is pretty fine, and I'm getting the proper audio. Thanks.

horseshoejoe

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Kind of having the same problem, and with the same card.

I was using 2, 9800GTX+ Video cards on three monitors and pulling audio from my mobo's included soundcard and feeding that to two separate sound systems -- a desktop Logitech setup (headphone-type jack) and a Yamaha YSP 3000 Soundbar (optical). I'd switch soundsystems depending on where I was sitting.

Recently bought an Evga 560 TI video card and installed in place of one of the 9800GTX+ cards. As far as I can tell, the 560 TI's DVI ports work fine. However, I run in to problems when I attempt to run an HDMI cable from the 560's mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter and then to the YSP 3000 Soundbar (which has 2 HDMI inputs). Frankly, I don't get any audio.

On my desktop, I see the YSP-3000 listed as one of two "Playback Devices." I have it set as default and when I have a site up, say Pandora or Netflix, which provides audio, I see the level indicator next to the YSP's "Playback Device" listing going up and down green. HDMI cable connection is good and I've poured over the YSP owners manual to see if there was some setting that I had failed to account for that was obstructing audio output on the YSP. Nothing.

I check the "display" function on the soundbar and get a read-out that says: "Analog." This is with the HDMI cable plugged in to the back of the soundbar and the other end plugged in to the mini-HDMI adapter. So, it seems like my system is detecting the Soundbar (knows model) but no signal is making it across the HDMI cable to the Soundbar.

Reading the comments on this thread, I tried "duplicate monitors, the "YSP being listed as the 2nd "monitor" in the NVidia multiple monitors window, but didn't get anything out of that. And I know the YSP Soundbar is correctly designated as the default in the sound "playback device" window.

Going to test the HDMI port on the 560 TI card with a few other HDMI components to see if it's working (video or audio or both) in those cases. If not, guess it's RMA...

Status
Not open for further replies.