Uther39

Distinguished
So after playing BF3 now for a couple of days on my AMD 1090t (OCd to 4ghz) rig. I would like to report how good this CPU is for playing this game, ive been using a gpu and cpu usage and temp gadget on an extra monitor to see how they cope with the game at 2560x1440 with all settings on ultra. Now most of the time my GPU (GTX580) is at 99% useage however my 1090t never goes above 50% usage and the game seems to spread the load out across all 6 cores very well indeed.

Now my friends rig which is an 2500k OCd to 4.5ghz with a gtx580 on a 24" 1080p monitor, his CPU at times peaks at 85% usage.

So is it me or has AMD actually got a CPU that can beat the 2500k in a game, and are we going to see the 1090t perform better than the 2500k as more modern better threaded games are released?

So if your a BF3 nut and your looking for a new rig, then my tip is to buy an AMD 1090t based rig.

Comments, Flames & Opinions please.

neonneophyte

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
if u read the new bf3 benchmarks article, the reviewer says that the cpu doesnt matter. so long as it can do the work, it doesnt matter how many cores it has, hyperthreaded or not bf3 makes fantastic work of any cpu

I think the extra cores makes the makes the reading a little low. Other than that as neonneophyte said. The GPU is the determining factor over here. In CPU dependent games, which however are pretty few... you may see the i5 winning, i guess.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah I have a 965BE (3.4 @ 4.2 Phenom II X4), and a Asus 6970 DirectCUII, and running the game in eyefinity. I can't run it maxxed out, but I have half my settings on ultra and the other half on high, no AA, MSAA. Game still looks beautiful (ofc, its pretty much maxxed out aside from a few little things), and it's very well playable.

Resolution 6048*1080
(have to get EA to fix eyefinity issues though, Huge lensflare, supernova sun, player's names displaced, sucks cuz you can't see who is friend or foe and you look like a moron shooting your teammates)

Finished the campaign first, as I know of myself that once I start MP I will never look at the campaign again, and I have to say it's a lot better then what people say. Sure it's a bit cliche but the way they tell the story, and the action it's one hell of a good 5 hours (I play fast).

Overall though BF3 seems to be performing very well on most machines, I really appreciate how if you have an entry level rig you can play the game, still looks ok, and if you have the most kickass high-end rig you can still bring it to it's knees, but god are you in for a treat!

It's a good game though, I'm happy with it and I'm most happy indeed that it runs on my well outdated CPU perfectly fine

bah_humbug76

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
I'm not at all surprised the 1090T beats the 2500K in BF3, My 1090T also just eats up BF3 like it was pacman or space invaders.

The vast majority of games only run 2 threads or in some cases 4, so there only using 2 or 4 cores, with that the 2500K will be better as core for core the 2500K is about 2 - 3% better per core then the 1090T.

But BF3 is a Frostbite 2 engine game and will use up to 16 threads, the 2500K has 8 threads but only 4 cores, the 1090T has 6 cores and 6 threads, there is no substitute for the 1090T's 2 extra 'real' cores, BF3 is also a true 64Bit game (not just x86 stitched round to work with x64) that will also favor AMD's native x64 architecture instead of Intel's x86

Its been a long time waiting but the Phenom x6 will now come into its own as software catches up with it.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Funny....me and a bunch of people on the internet cant get these hexacores to pull modern day graphics cards.

1055t 3.5 GHZ and my 5850's crossfire wont load past 60% usage.

I dont believe you, the more I OC the more FPS I get which suggests a bottleneck.

bah_humbug76

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

5850's are not modern GPU's, they are years out of date and very mid range when first introduced, when you OC that CPU of yours you have to do it from the FSB, (IE its not a BE) that in turn ups the HT Link, which ups the NB memory bandwidth.... which helps the GPU process informations faster.

Hence......

TRENDING THREADS